Val’s Applesauce Date Cake
This Applesauce Date Cake is flavorful, moist, and a true taste of fall with just the right amount of sweetness. Topped with easy cream cheese frosting, it is our family’s go-to celebration cake.
I recieved the best gift for my wedding shower 7 years ago: a cookbook with recipes from both my family member’s and my husband’s.
I love that I have family favorites from both sides in one, convient place and cook from it often.
Why this applesauce date cake?
One of the many recipes that my mother-in-law, Val, graced me with is her famous Applesauce Date Cake.
This is the cake my husband remembers as his birthday cake of his younger years and one of his absolutely favorite recipes that he looks forward to in the fall.
So, when his birthday rolls around each year, it feels only natural that I make his mother’s classic and delicious Applesauce Date Cake to celebrate my favorite person.
Perfect seasonal treat
This cake a true taste of fall with just the right amount of sweetness.
It is dense but moist and can be cooked as either a bundt cake or in a traditional cake pan.
Other cake recipes you’ll love
- Oatmeal Carrot Cake
- Chocolate Beetroot Cake (with raspberry whipped cream)
- Carrot Cake Overnight Oats
Enjoying this applesauce date cake?
If you are enjoying this recipe, sign up to receive my newsletter full of healthy and delicious recipes straight to your inbox. And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all kinds of veggie-loaded living ideas!
Applesauce Date Cake
Applesauce Date Cake
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon allspice
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cloves
- ¼ teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed. You can also sub coconut sugar
- 2 large eggs, can sub flax eggs
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 2 cups hot applesauce
- 1 cup chopped pitted dates
- ¾ cup coarsely chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Frosting
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 Tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cup confectioners sugar , sifted
Make the Cake
- Grease & flour a 9 x 9 x 1 ¾ baking pan. Put the first 7 ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Add sugar, oil, eggs (flax eggs), and 1 cup of applesauce. Beat at a low speed until all ingredients are combined. At medium speed, beat for 2 minutes, scraping the bowl and guiding the mixture into the beaters.
- Add remaining applesauce, dates, and walnuts. Beat 1 minute longer.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees F for 50 minutes for 9 x 9 x 1 ¾ pan for 40 minutes for bundt pan, or until done.
- Cool in pan 10 minutes. Remove from pan, cool throughly on wire rack.
Make cream cheese frosting
- Combine cream cheese, butter and vanilla.
- With a mixer on low speed, beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Gradually add confectioners sugar; continue beating at medium speed until fluffy.
- Once you cake is cool, spread the frosting over the top and cut into 16 slices.