This Taco Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet is packed with veggies, protein, and flavor! Made in one skillet, gluten free, and done in about 30 minutes, it is the perfect hearty dinner to make on a busy weeknight.
The beauty of one-skillet dinners…
I love a nice and simple dinner. One that is quick to throw together, keeps the dishes to a minimum, and flavorful enough that everyone gets excited about eating it. Something that can be a real staple recipe. And this Taco Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet is exactly all those things!
Ground turkey cooked to perfection with sweet potatoes, salsa, black beans, spinach and spices. Then the whole thing is topped with cheese to make a good thing even better…or skip it to keep this healthy dinner dairy-free!
- Not a sweet potato fan? Use Yukon gold or peeled Russet potatoes instead.
- Up the veggies! Corn, bell peppers, and/or chopped mushrooms would be a wonderful addition to this sweet potato ground turkey skillet.
- Skip the cheese to make this skillet recipe dairy-free.
- Up the heat by using hot salsa or adding diced jalapeño.
- Up the spice if you like more intense flavors!
Why is my ground meat so watery?
If you are using a ground turkey that is lower in fat, you will likely see some water released as it cooks. The leaner the meat, the more water you might see. The higher the fat content of the meat, the less.
If you are cooking the turkey over medium-high heat as directed, the water should mostly evaporate. If it does not, drain off the extra liquid prior to adding the remaining ingredients.
The best part of a taco skillet (or the tacos, period) are the toppings you add to jazz it up!
This ground turkey sweet potato taco skillet is wildly delicious all on its own, but here are a few ideas of what you could add on top to add some extra flavor, textures, and color!
- diced avocado
- tortilla chips
- sour cream
- fresh cilantro
- a squirt of lime juice
- extra salsa
- extra cheese
Other veggie-loaded skillet recipes to jazz up dinner
- Sweet Potato Apple Sausage Skillet
- Easy Veggie Fried Rice (vegetarian)
- Healthy Chicken Veggie Teriyaki Stir Fry
- Chicken Piccata Stir-Fry
- Teriyaki Broccoli Chickpea Stir Fry
Loving this sweet potato turkey skillet recipe and hungry for more?
Taco Ground Turkey Sweet Potato Skillet
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium finely diced white onion
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 2 cups sweet potato cut into ½ inch pieces
- 15 ounce canned black beans drained and rinsed
- 15 ounces chunky salsa I used mild. If you prefer more heat, use medium or hot
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese optional and to taste
- Once oil is hot, add onions, salt, chili powder, garlic powder, cumin, oregano and tomato paste. Cook until the onions start to turn translucent or approximately 2 minutes.
- Add the ground turkey. Use a wooden spoon to break up the turkey as it cooks. Cook for about 5-7 minutes or until the turkey is mostly browned.
- Add sweet potatoes, black beans and salsa to the skillet. Stir to combine.
- Cover the skillet and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender, stirring occasionally, about 12-14 minutes.
- Once the sweet potatoes are tender, add in spinach and mix until wilted. Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Then sprinkle the cheese over the top (if using), and cover skillet until cheese is melted, about 3 minutes.
- Serve hot topped with more cheese, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, a little lime juice, sour cream, or as is.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!