Chocolate Avocado Mousse is an easy, healthy dessert recipe that is sure to satisfy your sweet tooth! Whipped up in minutes with just a handful of ingredients in your blender, this rich pudding is vegan, Paleo and lovely!
Chocolate Avocado Pudding
This recipe was originally made in my kitchen when my then-little daughter noticed those snack pack pudding thingies in some of her classmates’ lunches.
Making pudding out of avocados what something I had tried in the past, but I decided to really see if I could make a magical chocolate avocado mousse that was easy to make, would dazzle my little chocolate-loving kiddo, and that was (of course) delicious!
Why make pudding out of avocado?
It is amazing for creating a rich, creamy mousse without dairy…perfect for people who are vegan or who just can’t do dairy but still want a rich creamy sweet treat. The healthy fat from avos creates a lovely richness and combined with a little cocoa power, some sweetener and a little blending action, a deliciously easy no-cook dessert can be made in minutes!
Bonus: Since you can sweeten it with just a little maple syrup, it’s perfect treat for those who are trying to reduce the sugar in their lives.
What makes this vegan chocolate mousse so good?
- This dairy-free, Paleo, vegan treat is rich, not too sweet and decadent. It is perfect for those special occasions, yet easy enough to whip up when you just want a chocolate fix.
- It’s super creamy, all while being dairy-free and getting the healthy fat of avocados and coconut in.
- Easy to make in your blender in minutes. I like it chilled for an hour or so, but you can enjoy it right out of your blender if you want.
- You can make it ahead. Store your mousse in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days, and enjoy the chocolatey-goodness whenever you wish.
Use a different plant-based milk. If you don’t want to use coconut cream, almond milk or any non-dairy or dairy milk will work. However, the mousse will not be quite as thick and creamy.
Dairy-free not needed? But still love the idea of making mousse with avocados? Replace the coconut cream with heavy whipping cream in this chocolate avocado mousse recipe.
Adjust the sweetness to fit YOUR preference. Feel free to add more or less maple syrup to your mousse depending on how sweet you’d like it. You can also substitute honey for maple syrup if you’d like but the flavor will be a little different.
Want a more decadent chocolate treat? Melt a 1/3 cup chocolate chips and add the melted chocolate to the blender as well. As the chocolate is pretty sweet, you may want to add only 2-3 tablespoons of maple syrup at first then taste to see if you want more. Here is a dairy-free brand of chocolate that I like
Skip the cinnamon or add more. A little bit of ground cinnamon enhances the chocolate flavor of the mousse. You can definitely leave it out if you prefer or add a pinch then taste and add more as desired.
Use previously frozen avocados. Many grocery stores have frozen avocados these days and they would work great in this chocolate mousse recipe! Simply defrost before blending
Why is there salt in the recipe?
The salt is essential for balancing the flavors in this mousse and it really brings out the chocolate flavor of the cocoa powder. I don’t recommend leaving it out.
My mousse came out bitter! Why?
There could be a few different reasons. One could simply be your cocoa powder. The bitterness can vary greatly from brand to brand and/or how old your powder is. Be sure to taste the mousse after blending to see if the sweetness is to your liking. You can easily add more if you like and reblend.
Another reason is personal taste preference. We all like different levels of sweetness. Some people enjoy a more bitter chocolate mousse while others really like it one the sweet side. Again, feel free to adjust the level of maple syrup in this recipe to fit your personal preference.
More amazing avocado recipes
- Easy Avocado Spinach Pesto
- How To Store Avocado
- Paleo Avocado Chocolate Bread
- Chocolate Avocado Strawberry Muffins
- No-Bake Chocolate Avocado Bites
Loving this avocado mousse and hungry for more?
Chocolate Avocado Mousse (vegan)
- 2 medium ripe avocados
- 1/2 cup coconut cream (from the top of a can of coconut milk)
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder or cacao powder
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or to taste
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon optional
- Cut the avocados in half and remove the pits with a spoon. Scoop the avocado flesh into a blender.
- Add remaining ingredients to the blender. Blend until smooth, stopping to scrape down the sides a few times to ensure that everything is evenly blended into the mousse.
- Taste the mousse and add more maple syrup if need to reach your desired taste preference. Blend again if more sweetener is added.
- Divide avocado mousse into 4 small jars, cups, or containers. You can enjoy immediately but I find it best if chilled in fridge for at least an hour. Or save it for up to 2 days in your fridge. When ready to enjoy, top with whipped coconut cream, berries or chocolate chips.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!