Bacon & Herb Potato Salad is the perfect side for your summer table. With the perfect balance of cream and savory, it is easy to make ahead of time and is sure to be a show stopper at any of your summer gatherings!
Bacon & herb potato salad
So, potato salad is kind of summer staple. But to be honest with you…..I’ve never really been much of a potato salad girl…..until I was invited to a last minute summer potluck dinner.
Potluck means I need to bring something. And I had less than 24 hours to figure out what I was going to bring. Could I swing by a store and grab something? Sure, but I love to cook (I mean, you guys are here reading this because of my obsession with food) and a potluck is a great time to break out a new recipe! So I put on my creative hat and started poking around my kitchen for some inspiration.
I spied a giant bag of organic red potatoes my husband had bought earlier in the week to feed his hash brown obsession.
“Hmmmm. There is definitely enough there to make a big potato salad. But what can I add to jazz it up a bit? To make it a little more special than the traditional potato salad you could just grab at the store?”
Jazzing up potato salad with bacon
I looked in my fridge and BAM….bacon was staring back at me. Bacon. That would be the perfect addition to this developing recipe. Since bacon makes just about everything better….
Out of the fridge went the bacon and into the cast iron. While the potatoes boiled and the bacon cooked, I went out to my (oh so tiny) patio garden to grab a few herbs to add another dimension to the salad.
And what I created was pure magic. The kind of potato salad that makes a non-potato salad lover (like myself) into a down right enthusiast! I’ve never been big into potato salad, it seems, because I have been doing potato salad wrong all these years.
Well no more my friends. Now that I’ve gone Bacon & Herb Potato Salad, I can’t go back to any other kind.
Other delicious potato recipes that you will enjoy…
- Healthy Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Easy Sweet Potato Cookies
- Apple Sweet Potato Muffins
- Kid-Friendly Sweet Potato Recipes
Loving this bacon & herb potato salad and hungry for more?
Bacon & Herb Potato Salad
- 2 pounds red potatoes
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1/2 cup diced green onions
- 1/2 cup mayo (this is the one I used)
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh dill
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh basil
- 1/2 cup chopped cooked bacon (about 4 pieces)
- 1/2 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put whole potatoes in a large pot and cover potatoes with water and season the water with the tablespoon of salt. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are fork tender.
- Once done, drain potatoes at set aside to cool completely.
- When the potatoes are nice and cool, cut them into bite size pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine diced green onions, mayo, dill, basil, chopped bacon, mustard and lemon juice. Stir together to combine well.
- Add chopped potatoes to the bowl and and gently mix to combine.
- Taste and add salt and pepper to your liking.
- Enjoy chilled or at room temperature.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!
This post contains affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kicks The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest