This truly the BEST hot chocolate you can make. Quick, easy, and full of chocolate flavor. Top with a little whipped cream or a few marshmallows for a cozy treat to warm you up!Jump to Recipe
When the leaves started to change colors and fall to the ground and the smell of snow was in the air…that was when my mom would start making us kids homemade hot chocolate.
She always made it from scratch….and it always seemed so simple. Just a little milk, cocoa powder, and something to make it sweet. Slowly stirred with patience and love until warmed to perfection. Nothing fancy or complicated, just good ‘ol homemade hot chocolate to warm our hands and our hearts.
I love the memories of my mother standing over a stove, slowly stirring the hot chocolate while I waited with anticipation.
Last winter, we traveled from our cute little home in the sand and sun of Southern California back to our roots in New England. There we were met with snow and my mom’s famous homemade hot chocolate.
So now, most Saturday mornings, I get up with my daughter. She switches on some cartoons while I make her some of my mom’s homemade hot chocolate. And as I stand over the stove, slowly stirring the pot…I see her watching me with the same anticipation that I used to watch my own mother with….creating the same memories of me that I have of my own mother.
Thank you, Mom…..for the memories and the recipe.
- Make it dairy-free. I often use unsweetened almond milk to make our’s! And readers have shared that coconut milk makes for an extra rich dairy-free hot cocoa! Just make sure that the chocolate chips you are using are also dairy-free!
- Add a little collagen to it. Another thing I often do! It ups the protein and is good for gut health!
- Stir in a little pumpkin or sweet potato puree. Say wha? Yep, if you are looking for a way to up your veggies, stirring in a little puree will make this hot chocolate delicious and veggie-loaded!
Other chocolate recipes you are going to love….
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins (with butternut squash)
- Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies
- Flourless Chocolate Waffles
- Chocolate Zucchini Oatmeal
The BEST Hot Chocolate
- 2 cups milk of choice see above for dairy-free suggestions
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp chocolate chips (I used Enjoy Life brand)
- a pinch sea salt
- Combine everything in a medium saucepan.
- Stir with a whisk over medium-low heat until everything is combined, chocolate chips are melted and hot chocolate is warm.
- Enjoy warm and often!