Once upon a time, I saw some chocolate dipped bananas kicking around the freezer section of Trader Joe’s and I thought “Pfffftttt! Delicious, but I could make those faster than I could go through the check out counter!” So that’s exactly what I did, with only two ingredients and about 15 minutes of effort.
Chocolate. It’s my weakness. It calls to me. I’ve learned enough about myself to know that if I don’t keep some sort of healthy chocolate around my house, I’ll send the hubby running to the corner store for some junky $5 ice cream after about an hour of trying to ignore the craving. Yes, I said “healthy” and “chocolate” in the same sentence, because chocolate, in moderation, is healthy. Just to clarify, the chocolate that I speak of is real chocolate made with simple ingredients that the average person can pronounce. It is safe to assume that the candy bars that are giving you the stare down at Target as you wait to pay for your dish soap and gym socks are not healthy, so just eat these puppies instead…mmmkay?
These chocolate bananas bites are just perfect for satisfying a nagging sweet tooth. They give you that chocolate fix (without the chocolate overkill) and the frozen banana underneath the chocolate gives you this sweet, creamy center that reminds me of ice cream (yay) and dances on your taste buds. My banana loving husband and daughter can’t get enough of them, and since they are coated in my beloved chocolate and take next to no time to make, I don’t mind keeping the freezer stocked with this healthy frozen treat.
Makes 18 banana bites
2 large ripe bananas
6 ounces of chocolate chips (I used the Enjoy Life brand)
1 tbsp coconut oil (optional, but it will make the chocolate smoother and easier to dip with)
1. Peel the bananas and slice them into about 1/2 inch thick pieces. Arrange the slices on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper.
2. Pour the chocolate chips and coconut oil into a small sauce pan. On low heat and stirring constantly to prevent burning, melt the chocolate chips and oil until they are a smooth consistency.
3. Place the banana slices into the melted chocolate one at a time with a fork. Use the fork to push the chocolate over the banana slice until it is totally covered in chocolate.
4. Place each chocolate dipped slice of banana onto the parchment paper lined cookie sheet and continue until all the banana slices are dipped.
5. Place filled cookie sheet into the freezer and let the banana bites chill for at least 3 hours.
This post contains Amazon affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kick The Natural Nurture a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest
Those bananas on that white marble… gorgeous!
Oh man, any fruit on white marble! Thank you!