Looking for a delicious vegetarian meatball option? Look no further than these eggplant meatballs! Full of flavor that is reminiscent of classic eggplant parmesan, these meatballs are made from sautéed eggplant, breadcrumbs, optional parmesan cheese, and tons of flavor. Perfect as a veggie-loaded alternative to traditional meatballs over pasta or just on their own!
– Preheat the oven. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or grease with oil. – Heat the olive oil in a large skillet oven medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened and lightly golden brown around the edges.
– Stir in the garlic and diced eggplant.
– Stir in salt, pepper, and the Italian seasoning. Cook the eggplant, stirring, until the eggplant has released all its liquid and is very soft. – Once the eggplant is fully cooked, stir in the chopped spinach then transfer the eggplant mixture to a large bowl. Mash well and let cool.
– Add the egg, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, garlic powder and salt to the bowl and mix until well combined.
– Form balls of the eggplant mixture with a cookie scoop or your hands. Place the rolled eggplant balls onto the prepared baking sheet.
– Bake the meatballs until golden brown. – Heat the marinara sauce in the same pan you used to cook the eggplant. Once the meatballs are done, add them to the sauce and gently scoop the sauce over the meatballs to coat.
– Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese over the top of the meatballs. To melt the cheese, either cover the pan until melted or set under the broiler until bubbly. Serve.