Slow Cooker Turkey Taco Chili
The joy of a home cooked meal made in the ease of your crockpot. This slow cooker Turkey Taco chili is bursting with flavor, vegetables and protein...making it the perfect healthy dinner any night of the week.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion peeled and chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 1 cup bell pepper deseeded and chopped
- 15 oz cooked black beans drained and rinsed (omit for Whole30)
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 28 oz diced tomatoes for extra flavor, fire roasted suggested. For extra spice, get the ones with added chilies
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tbsp taco seasoning see below for my home recipe
- 1 cup broth or stock
- salt and pepper to taste
Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1/2 tbsp chili powder I made this mild enough for kids, so if you like extra heat, increased the chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1-2 tsp garlic powder (or to taste)
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- sliced avocado, green onion and cheese for garnish
In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Once hot, add the onions and sauté for about 3 minutes. Crumble ground meat into the hot skillet with onions and cook until turkey is browned, but still slightly pink. Note: This is an optional step but will help with the flavor and texture of your soup
Pour meat and onions to your slow cooker.
Add remaining ingredients to the slow cooker and stir a few times to combine
Cover slow cooker; cook on high setting for 3-4 hours or on low for 6 to 8 hours .
Once done cooking, season with salt and pepper to taste.
Garnish with chopped green onion, shredded cheese or sliced avocado if desired and serve.
See above for suggested adaptations, cooking methods and tips
Recipe last updated 2/11/21
Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 948mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 4948IU | Vitamin C: 47mg | Calcium: 87mg | Iron: 4mg