The BEST Slow Cooker Black Beans
These are the BEST Slow Cooker Black Beans ever! Full of flavor, a total crowd pleaser and naturally vegetarian, gluten free and dairy-free.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 cups dried black beans, picked over, rinsed, soaked overnight and rinsed again
- 1 cup salsa (I used mild since I was serving it to children)
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 medium yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 cups bell pepper, deseeded and diced
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tbsp garlic powder or to taste
- 4 cups water or broth
- 1-2 tbsp coconut oil or olive oil (optional, but it adds a richness to the beans many enjoy)
- 1/2 tbsp salt** or to taste
Combine ingredients **EXCEPT SALT** in your slow cooker. You will add this after cooking.
Cover and cook on high for 3-4 hours (checking after 3 hours to see if the beans are done) or on low for 6-7 hours (checking after 6 hours to see if beans are done).
Once the beans are done cooking, remove the bay leaves. THEN, stir in salt.
Enjoy warm! Use a slotted spoon to drain off extra liquid and serve beans over rice, quinoa or a salad. Top with avocado, extra salsa or shredded cheese.
If storing leftovers, allow beans to cool completely before transferring beans and some of the cooking liquid to an air-tight container. Store beans in fridge for up to 5 days or in freezer for up to a month.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 114kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 1378mg | Potassium: 398mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 417IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 71mg | Iron: 2mg