5-Minute Air Fryer Asparagus
Air Fryer Asparagus is perfectly crisp, delicious, and done in just 5 minutes. The perfect easy veggie side dish to add to a busy weeknight dinner.
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 pound asparagus
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil or olive oil
- salt to taste
Preheat your air fryer to 400℉.
While your air fryer heats up, wash and dry the asparagus. Patting the asparagus as dry as possible will help it crisp up. Wet asparagus will still cook, but will be less crispy.
Trim the ends off of the asparagus and place them in a large bowl.
Drizzle the asparagus with the oil and sprinkle with salt. Toss to evenly coat.
Place asparagus in your heated air fryer, pushing it down so that none of the tips are sticking up. Cook for 5 minutes, shaking the basket at the 3 minute mark.If your asparagus is thin, start closely watching them at the 3 minute mark to make sure they don't burn. If your asparagus stalks are thicker, you may need to add 1-2 additional minutes to the cooking time.
Once cook time is up, remove asparagus from air fryer immediately and enjoy warm.
Tips and tricks
- Be sure to trim the ends off your asparagus. Fresh asparagus typically comes with tough, woody ends. To trim this off, hold the bottom of one stalk of asparagus between two hands and bend it until it breaks. You can do this with each individual stalk of asparagus if you like or you can use a knife and cutting board to trim the rest of your asparagus faster. To do that: arrange the rest of your asparagus on your cutting board so that the tops are evenly lined up. Use your trimmed asparagus stalk as a guide and lay it next to the rest of your asparagus on the cutting board, with its tip flush with the rest of the stalks. Where the end of your "guide asparagus" stops is where you should cut the rest of your asparagus.
- If cooking more than one bunch, cook in two batches. Especially if you are using a smaller air fryer.
- If you prefer crispier asparagus with a touch of char, cook for an additional 2 minutes.
- Be aware of the size of your asparagus. Mother Nature doesn't do anything uniform, so take note of how thick your asparagus stalks are. If they are on the thinner side, you might need to only cook your asparagus for 3 minutes. If the stalks are thicker, you might need to cook them for close to 7 minutes.
Suggested seasonings that go well with asparagus
This Air Fryer Asparagus recipe is simple, delicious, and can truly be a jumping off point for you. Feel free to add different seasonings or toppings into the mix so that if fits your desired taste preference! Here are some tried-and-true seasonings that go well with asparagus...
- butter. Just melt a little to drizzle over the top once the asparagus is done cooking.
- cayenne. Great for a little heat! Sprinkle some over the fresh asparagus when you add the salt before cooking.
- cheese. Basically any kind. I love grating a little Parmesan over my air fryer asparagus right before serving.
- dill. Add a little to the mix when you add the salt.
- garlic. Add fresh or granulated garlic to the asparagus before cooking.
- lemon. Squeeze a little over cooked asparagus for a boost of brightness.
Calories: 54kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 2mg | Potassium: 229mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 857IU | Vitamin C: 6mg | Calcium: 27mg | Iron: 2mg