Spinach Recipes for Kids: Healthy Chocolate Muffins (with Veggies!)
These Healthy Chocolate Muffins are pack with good-for-you ingredients and can be made in your blender! Loaded with greens and carrots, you are going to love how much your family adores these healthy muffins!
Servings: 12 muffins
- 2 large eggs can sub 2 "flax eggs"
- 1 cup mashed banana about 2 medium bananas
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup loosely packed spinach or kale
- 1/4 cup oil I use melted coconut oil or avocado
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour can sub 1:1 gluten free flour mix, if needed
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- chocolate chips** to taste and optional
Preheat your oven to 350 ℉ and line a 12-hole muffin tin with liners. Set aside
In your blender, combine eggs, banana, carrots, spinach/kale, maple syrup/ honey, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
Blend until mixture is smooth.
Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder and cinnamon. Process until just mixed. If you do not have a high speed blender, combine everything in a bowl and mix by hand.
Finally, fold in chocolate chips (if using).
Portion batter into prepared muffin tin and top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
Bake for 20-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy and let cool completely before storing leftovers in an air-tight container in fridge or freezer.
**chocolate usually contains milk. If using the chocolate chips, opt for a dairy-free brand like Enjoy Life if dairy-free is important.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 135kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 31mg | Sodium: 176mg | Potassium: 236mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 2397IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 54mg | Iron: 1mg