Healthy After School Snacks: Sweet Spinach Mini Muffins
After a busy day or learning and playing, kids are hungry! These healthy after school snacks are easy to stock up on or prep ahead of time and are sure to delight your kids awhile, keeping them full until dinner!
Servings: 35 mini muffins
- 2 large eggs can sub flax eggs for egg-free
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1-2 cups loosely packed baby spinach depending on how green you want them. Don't go crazy though...too much spinach will add extra moisture and the muffins might be mushy in the middle
- 1/4 cup neutral tasting oil I use melted coconut oil or avocado
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup whole wheat flour can sub 1:1 gluten free flour mix, if needed
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- chocolate chips** to taste and optional
Preheat your oven to 350 ℉ and line a mini muffin tin with liners. Set aside.
In your blender, combine spinach, eggs, maple syrup/ honey, applesauce, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
Blend until mixture is smooth. Set aside.
In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon. Pour in the contents of the blender and mix to combine.
Fold in chocolate chips (if using).
Portion batter into prepared muffin tin and top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
Bake for 14-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean.
Let cool in pan for 5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Enjoy and let cool completely and store leftovers in an air-tight container in fridge or freezer.
*if making for a child under the age of 1, avoid using honey and opt for maple syrup or date syrup.
Serving: 1muffin | Calories: 40kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 11mg | Sodium: 65mg | Potassium: 32mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 98IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 1mg