Crispy Air Fryer Tofu
Air Fryer Tofu is, hands down, the best way to get delicious, crisp tofu! Easy to make, perfect texture, and done in about 12 minutes, this tofu is great for making as part of meal prep and adding to all kinds of dishes.
Servings: 4 servings
- 16 ounce block firm or extra firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch or arrowroot starch
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon coconut aminos or soy sauce if gluten free isn't needed
Cut tofu into cubes and arrange on a clean towel or paper towels.
Place another towel on top of the tofu and place a cutting board on the towel. Place something heavy (I use my cast iron skillet) to weigh down and gently press out the moisture from the tofu. Let sit for for 15-30 minutes.
Once tofu has been pressed, place in a medium bowl. Sprinkle tofu with 1 tablespoon of cornstarch or arrowroot powder. This will help the oil and coconut aminos stick to the tofu and give it that crisp outside. Toss the tofu piece in the cornstarch/arrowroot to coat. It’s ok if the tofu isn’t perfectly coated.
Next, drizzle with oil and coconut aminos. Toss to coat again.
Preheat air fryer to 375℉ for 3 minutes. Once warmed up, place tofu in air fryer basket in an even layer.
Cook for 12 to 15 minutes, depending how crisp you want your tofu. Shake air fryer basket at the 5 minute mark to move tofu around so that it evenly cooks.
Once done cooking, remove immediately from air fryer and enjoy as part of a stir fry, salad, over rice or with your favorite dipping sauce.
- Do not skip pressing tofu. Pressing is important for drawing out the extra liquid tofu is packaged with and vital to creating the crisp outside.
- If your air fryer only goes in increments of 10 degrees, cook tofu at 380℉.
- Be sure your tofu is firm or extra firm. This recipe will not work with silken tofu.
- All air fryers and taste preferences are different. Check your tofu after 10 minutes and see if your desired crispness is achieved. If not, cook for an additional 2-3 minutes until it fits what you prefer.
- Don't forget to shake the basket halfway through cooking! This helps to rotate the pieces of tofu so that they crisp up evenly.
Calories: 105kcal | Carbohydrates: 5g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 156mg | Potassium: 175mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Calcium: 35mg | Iron: 1mg