Healthier Tater Tot Casserole (with veggies)
This healthier tater tot casserole is full of ground turkey, delicious homemade sauce, and easy frozen veggies! This recipe comes together easily and is hearty, comforting dinner recipe.
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 small onion finely chopped, about 1 1/2 cups
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt divided
- 1 pound ground turkey preferable dark meat
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder 2 cloves fresh garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 12 ounces frozen mixed vegetables
- 1 cup frozen riced cauliflower
- 1 cup milk any kind or additional broth
- 1/2 cup chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper.
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 24-38 ounces frozen tater tots sometimes called potato puffs
Preheat oven to 400℉. Lightly grease a large casserole dish (about 9-by-12 inch pan) with oil.
Heat oil in a large pot or skillet over medium heat. Add chopped onion then sprinkle with ½ tsp of salt. Saute until onion is soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add ground turkey and break up into crumbles while browning. Once turkey is cooked, stir in garlic powder, Worcestershire sauce, frozen vegetables, cauliflower rice, and milk.
In a small bowl or large measuring cup, mix cornstarch with broth, making sure no clumps remain at the bottom. Add the cornstarch-broth mixture into the pot and bring up to a simmer.
Simmer for 5 minutes to thicken, stirring occasionally. Season with another ¼ tsp of salt and a ¼ tsp ground pepper. Taste and add additional seasoning as desired.
Spread the turkey and vegetable mixture in the prepared casserole dish. Sprinkle with cheese then lay the tater tots in rows on the top.
Bake until tater tots are crispy and golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Allow to sit for 5 minutes then serve.
Calories: 352kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 3g | Monounsaturated Fat: 7g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 49mg | Sodium: 778mg | Potassium: 626mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 2372IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 170mg | Iron: 2mg