Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto
Perfect as a side to any weeknight dinner, this Instant Pot Butternut Squash Risotto is flavorful, easy, and is done cooking in about 20 minutes. Naturally vegetarian and gluten-free.
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter sub extra olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onions or shallots
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoons finely chopped fresh sage plus extra for garnish
- 1 ½ cups Arborio rice
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt plus more to taste
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 pound peeled butternut squash cut into ½-inch dice (about 4 cups)
- 2/3 cup grated parmesan cheese plus more for garnish
- Ground black pepper, to taste
Set Instant Pot (or other multi-cooker) to SAUTE function. Add the olive and butter. Once hot, add the onion or shallot and stir occasionally until golden brown around the edges, about 4 to 5 minutes.
Add the garlic, sage, and salt. Cook for an additional minute. If the pot begins to brown too quickly, add a splash of water.
Add rice to the pot and stir for 2 minutes to lightly toast the rice. Stir in the vinegar and then the broth. Add the butternut squash. Cancel the SAUTE function.
Place lid on the Instant Pot then set to MANUAL high pressure for 5 minutes. It will take your Instant Pot about 6 minutes to get up to pressure.
Once time is up, quick release the pressure and remove the lid. Stir in the grated parmesan cheese and season with a few grinds of black pepper. Taste and add more salt or parmesan cheese if needed.
Let risotto sit in the Instant Pot for 5-10 minutes to thicken up and absorb more of the liquid. Serve risotto with a sprinkle of extra chopped sage and parmesan on top, if desired.
Serving: 1cup | Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 54g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 20mg | Sodium: 466mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 8250IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 178mg | Iron: 3mg