Creamy Mushroom Vegetable Rice Soup
This Creamy Mushroom Vegetable Rice Soup is cozy, hearty, and full of good-for-you ingredients. Easy to make in one pot, totally dairy-free, gluten free, and vegan, this flavorful soup will be a welcomed dinner any night of the week.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped sweet onion about 1/2 of a large or 1 small onion
- 2 cups diced carrots about 2 medium carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery about 1 stalk
- 3-4 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 tablespoon dried Italian herb seasoning
- 1 pound cremini or button mushrooms ends trimmed and sliced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt plus more to taste
- 1/2 cup white rice
- 4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 15 ounces canned white beans drained and rinsed. You can use any white bean, such as cannellini, navy, great northern beans
- 1-2 cups water
- 2 cups loosely packed baby spinach roughly chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
- black pepper to taste
Add oil to a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium-high heat. Once oil is hot, add onion, carrots, and celery. Cook until onion starts to get golden brown, about 2 minutes. Add garlic and Italian seasoning. Cook for 1 more minute.
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft and most of the liquid in the pan has cooked off. About 5 minutes.
Season with 1 teaspoon of salt then stir in rice and vegetable broth. Scrape the bottom of the pot to release and brown bits stuck to the bottom.
Cover pot and bring to a simmer. Lower heat to maintain simmer. Cook until rice is soft, about 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, add beans and 1 cup of water to a blender. Blend until smooth.
Once rice is cooked, remove lid and stir in bean puree.
Stir in spinach and cook until wilted. Add lemon juice and additional salt and pepper to taste.
Enjoy warm. Allow leftovers to cool completely before storing in fridge for up to 3 days.Note: As the soup sit, the rice will absorb more liquid so stir in the additional cup of water (or more) as needed. Be sure to taste and re-season the soup after adding more liquid.
Calories: 241kcal | Carbohydrates: 40g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 443mg | Potassium: 847mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 8111IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 103mg | Iron: 3mg