Chocolate Zucchini Oatmeal
This healthy Chocolate Zucchini Oatmeal is not only a delicious but easy way to get vegetables in at breakfast!
- 1 cup steel cut oats
- 2.5 cups liquid of choice Water is fine to use. For a creamier texture, you can use almond milk or coconut milk. Or half water and half milk if you like.
- 1.5 cups grated zucchini
- 1/4 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup honey or to taste or maple syrup
The night before, put your oats in a medium pot. Cover with water and allow the oats to soak overnight. In the morning, drain the oats. This is an OPTIONAL step, but one I suggest to help with digestion.
Combine all ingredients in a medium sauce pan, mixing a few times to incorporate everything.
Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower heat and simmer UNCOVERED for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Once done cooking, garnish with nuts, nut butter, sliced fruit of choice, shredded coconut, or chia seeds.
- Use rolled oats. Reduce liquid amount to 2 cups and simmer uncovered for 3-5 minutes!
- No zucchini? Grated carrot works beautifully in this recipe as well!
- Not a chocolate fan? Skip the cacao powder and still enjoy a delicious veggie-loaded breakfast!
Calories: 268kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 12mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 19g | Vitamin A: 93IU | Vitamin C: 8mg | Calcium: 32mg | Iron: 2mg