Lentil Mushroom Pasta
This Mushroom Lentil Pasta is the perfect easy dinner to cook up in no time! Hearty, vegetarian/vegan, flavorful and super budget friendly. Healthy comfort food at its finest and the perfect family dinner recipe.
Servings: 4 people
- 1/3 cup dry green lentils or brown
- 10 oz pasta of choice
- 1 tbsp olive oil or avocado oil
- 8 oz mushrooms, finely chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 cups pasta sauce of choice
Start by cooking the lentils. Pour lentils into a medium sauce pot and cover the lentils with water. Bring the water to a boil. Reduce the heat and let the lentil simmer for about 20 minutes. Drain extra liquid off before adding to the sauce.
Meanwhile, cook pasta according to directions. Drain when done and set aside.
While pasta and lentils cook, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Once oil is hot, add the finely chopped mushrooms, season with salt if desired and sauté 3 to 5 minutes or until mostly golden brown.
Add the cooked lentil and drained lentils to the skillet with mushrooms. Stir to combine. Add pasta sauce to the skillet next, again stirring to combine.
Taste sauce and season with salt if needed.
To serve, either spoon sauce over noodles, or add pasta to the sauce and toss to coat.
Top with grated cheese, fresh basil or red pepper flakes.
- Use homemade veggie-loaded tomato sauce. If want to add extra veggies to this meal, I love to use this veggie-loaded tomato sauce that is super easy! Or make homemade sauce in your slow cooker!
- Add extra veggies to the sauce while it cooks. I love to throw in shredded carrots, finely chopped spinach or leftover roasted veggies. They add to the flavor and texture of the sauce while bulking up the veggies in your meal.
- Make the sauce ahead of time. This sauce makes for a great leftover! Make it, store it in your fridge and reheat it when you need it! BOOM! Dinner became as easy as boiling pasta!
Calories: 376kcal | Carbohydrates: 71g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 651mg | Potassium: 891mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 530IU | Vitamin C: 10mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 5mg