Healthy Zucchini Bread
This Healthy Zucchini Bread Recipe is easy, delicious and makes for a great snack, breakfast or healthy dessert. Naturally sweetened, made from whole grains & kid-approved!
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/3 cup honey* or maple syrup
- 1/2 cup milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour or sub cup-for-cup gluten free flour blend
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips optional
Preheat oven to 350℉ and line a 8x4 loaf pan with parchment paper or grease it with a little extra oil.
Take the grated zucchini and place it in the middle of a clean dish towel or large paper towel. Wrap the zucchini in the towel and squeeze out as much of the moisture as you can. Set aside.
In a large bowl, combine olive oil, eggs, vanilla extract, applesauce, honey/maple syrup, and milk. Mix.
Add remaining ingredients except zucchini and chocolate chips to the bowl. Mix well until batter has an even consistency.
Add drained zucchini and chocolate chips to the batter. Fold them in.
Pour batter into prepared loaf pan and top with extra chocolate chips if desired
Bake for 40-45 minutes, or until bread is golden on top and a toothpick inserted into the middle of the bread comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in pan for 20 minutes before slicing and enjoying.
Once cool completely, store in fridge for 4-5 days or in freezer for up to a month.
*If making bread for a child under age 1, use maple syrup instead of honey.
Suggested adaptations for Healthy Zucchini Bread
- Make it gluten free. Replace the white whole wheat flour with a gluten free cup-for-cup flour blend. I like this one.
- Make it egg-free. Replace the eggs with 2 flax eggs.
- Make it dairy-free. Use unsweetened almond milk , coconut milk or your favorite plant-based milk.
- Replace the zucchini with grated summer squash.
- Make it as muffins. Bake at the same temperature for 15-20 minutes in a 12-hole muffin tin.
- Reduce the sugar. Skip the chocolate chips and enjoy the natural sweetness from the applesauce and honey or maple syrup
- No white whole wheat flour? Replace it with 1 cup all-purpose and 1 cup whole wheat.
Serving: 1slice | Calories: 204kcal | Carbohydrates: 34g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 39mg | Sodium: 194mg | Potassium: 184mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 16g | Vitamin A: 117IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 79mg | Iron: 1mg