When I first started thinking about using essential oils, I was dazzled by the inexpensive oils I found at my local health food store. I couldn’t wrap my brain around why anyone would spend considerably more money on oils that seemed exactly the same as what I could get in the store!
But then I started digging and discovered that not all essential oils are created equal. Not at all, guys.
With food, there are oodles of rules and regulations that companies have to follow. However, that is NOT the case with companies that make “natural” personal care and/or cleaning products….including essential oils.
Get this: it is totally legal for companies to claim a bottle of oil contains “100% pure essential oil “ (like frankincense or lavender) but it only ACTUALLY has to contain 5% of the said oil. Therefore the other 95% could be chemical extenders, artificial fragrances, fillers, or who knows what else. But the bottle may say 100% pure…but it definitely won’t be. Appalling and infuriating, I know. But also the truth.
So, I started hunting to see if there was any company that was totally transparent in their essential oil production. They actually create pure and clean oils, despite the lack of regulations in the industry. That’s when I found Young Living.
Young Living has a ‘Seed to Seal’ promise. This means they do it all! From the seed that grows the plant, to the harvesting, to the distillation, to the sealing of the bottle. From seed to seal, Young Living is in control of everything. They openly invite anyone to come and visit their pesticide & herbicide free farms and the distilleries that THEY OWN (no outsourcing, like every other major essential oil company on the market), to see their practices and judge for themselves. Since no one is holding essential oil companies accountable for the quality of product they are putting out on the market, I deeply respected Young Living’s openness to showcase how pure & natural their oils really are.
And not only does Young Living create TRULY pure oils, but they work oh-so hard to make the highest quality of oils out on the market. Their oils are 100% therapeutic grade. Meaning, they are pure, steam-distilled and contain all of the therapeutic compounds that make essential oils awesome BEYOND the fragrance. Other oil companions claim to be 100% therapeutic grade, but (again) there are no regulations to control these claims and other EO companies will skip steps in the distillation process that is vital to retaining the powerful benefits of the plant.
So just like many things in life, you get what you pay for when it comes to essential oils. Could you go to the health food store or hit Amazon for some cheaper “pure” oils? Totally, but I would honestly say save your money since they likely won’t do much for you beyond smelling nice (which is nice, I won’t lie). But if you want to have oils in your life that truly last (I’m still rocking some of the oils from my starter kit that I bought over a year ago because they are so concentrated and a little REALLY goes a long way), that benefit you mind, body, and soul…I totally suggest taking the leap and trying Young Living. You can grab your very own starter kit here to fall in love with oils right along with me!