These ABC Muffins are moist, tender, made with whole wheat flour, and are packed with apples, bananas, and carrots! Done baking in under 20 minutes, these veggie-loaded muffins are a great grab-and-go choice for a healthy breakfast or hearty snack.
Just when I think I have done every veggie muffin recipe that can be done, I think of one more combo that will knock your socks and tastebuds off!
These ABC muffins are the perfect combination of all the natural sweetness Mother Nature can offer up in one tasty little muffin. Rocking 3 cups of fruits and veg—apples, banana, carrots—these muffins are tender, moist and mixed all in one bowl. Made with a combination of whole wheat flour and rolled oats, these muffins are as hearty as they are delicious. This recipe makes a batch of 12 and only takes 20 minutes to bake, so make a quick batch today and enjoy the leftovers for the most magical of breakfasts and snacks for days to come.
What kind of apples should I use for these ABC muffins?
You can use any kind of apple for this recipe. I have tested this recipes using a Honeycrisp and Pink Lady apples.
Jazz them up with some add-ins: these muffins would be great with 1/3 cup chopped nuts such as walnuts or pecans or dried fruit like raisins or dried cranberries.
Boost the nutrition: You could also stir in 2 to 4 tablespoons of nutritious add-ins like hemp seeds, chia seeds, or ground flax seeds.
Make them gluten free: Use a cup-for-cup style gluten free flour mix instead of the whole wheat flour and make sure to use gluten free oats.
Need egg-free? I haven’t tested it, but I think using a common egg-replacer such a flax “egg” would work in this recipe.
Make then dairy-free: Use a unsweetened, dairy-free milk. I use an unsweetened almond milk.
Want these ABC muffins to be refined sugar free? You can use 1/3 cup coconut sugar instead of the ¼ cup brown sugar.
Bake them as mini muffins: Bake for about 12-15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
How to store these muffins
These muffins can hang out on your counter for a day, but if you plan to enjoy them over several days pop them in the fridge! Keeping them in an airtight container in your refrigerator will help to keep these moist muffins fresh longer and prevent molding.
Other veggie muffin recipes…
- Chocolate Muffins (with veggies!)
- Oatmeal Green Smoothie Muffins
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Zucchini Muffins
- Healthy & Wholesome Banana Zucchini Muffins
- Banana Carrot Muffins
- Healthy Morning Glory Muffins
Did you try these ABC muffins and now you’re hungry for more?
Whole Wheat ABC Muffins (apple, banana, carrot)
- 1 cup finely shredded carrot about 2 medium carrots
- 1 cup shredded apple about 1 medium apple
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana about 2 overripe bananas
- 2 large eggs
- ¼ cup avocado oil or vegetable oil
- ¼ cup milk any kind
- ¼ cup light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ cup rolled oats
- 1¼ cups whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 375℉. Line a standard muffin tin with paper liners or grease with oil.
- Place the grated carrot and apple in a few layers of paper towel or a clean kitchen towel and squeeze out most of the excess liquid over the sink.
- Add the squeezed carrot and apple to a large bowl. Add the mashed banana, eggs, oil, milk, and brown sugar, and whisk until well combined.
- Stir in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the oats and flour, then stir until the flour is just incorporated.
- Spoon the batter into the muffin cups, filling about ¾ of the way.
- Bake until the tops of the muffins are golden brown and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, 15-17 minutes.
- Enjoy warm or allow to cool fully, then store in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 to 5 days or well wrapped in the freezer for 1 month.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!