– Heat oil and butter in a Dutch oven or heavy bottomed saucepan. Once hot, add mushrooms and sprinkle with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms start to brown.
– Stir in shallots/onions and garlic and cook until aromatic.
– Add rice and stir to gently toast.
– Add vinegar and a splash of broth then scrape up any browned bits stuck to the bottom of the pot. Stir in vegetable broth, thyme, and salt. Bring pot up to a simmer. Stir until most of the broth has been absorbed. Repeat this process with the remaining broth.
– Stir in water and cook until more of the liquid has been absorbed. Taste a few grains of rice. If rice is still very hard in the center, stir in additional water and cook for a bit longer. – Remove the pan from the heat. Stir in the peas and Parmesan, letting the peas cook in the hot risotto and the cheese melt into the rice + veggies. Season with additional salt and pepper, to taste.
– Serve with extra Parmesan to sprinkle on top, if desired.