– Place your leek on your cutting board. With one hand, firmly hold the white portion of the leek in place. With the other hand, cut off the fibrous green top where it meets the white portion of the leek.
– Flip the leek around and cut off the root portion. – Take your knife and run it lengthwise down the leek, splitting it in half.
– Place both leek halves cut side down on your cutting board. Slice into thin half-circles. As the layers of the leek come apart, you will notice sand or dirt between them.
– Place cut leeks in a bowl of water. Use your hands to agitate and separate the layers of leeks so that the dirt can easily wash away in the water.
– Once the leeks are clean, use your hand or a slotted spoon to remove the leeks from the water. The dirt and sand from the leeks should sink to the bottom of the bowl of water.
– Pat clean leeks dry before cooking.