VEGETARIAN & GLUTEN FREE
- Separate the broccoli florets from the stalks. Trim any tough parts from the broccoli stalks then chop tender stalks into small pieces, you should have about 2 cups. Chop the broccoli tops into small pieces (think about how the broccoli will fit onto a spoon). You should have about 3 cups of very small broccoli florets. Set aside.
– Heat oil and butter in a large soup pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for an additional minute.
– Add broccoli stalks, potato, water, salt, and pepper to the pot. Bring up to a simmer then cover and cook until the potato will easily mash when pressed with a fork, about 15 to 18 minutes.
– Stir in yogurt. – Using an immersion blender, blend soup until smooth. Alternatively, use a regular blender and blend soup in batches (blender should only be half full when blending hot soup) then pour soup back into the pot.
– Stir chopped broccoli florets into the soup and cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. – Stir in 1 cup of the cheese then carefully taste soup for seasoning and add additional salt and pepper as needed. Ladle soup into bowls and garnish with the remaining cheese
– Enjoy warm. Allow leftovers to cool completely before storing in the fridge for up to 4 days.