– Heat oil in a large soup pot or Dutch oven. Add onion and sauté until softened and golden brown. – Add the carrots, garlic, salt, and sauté until the garlic is lightly toasted.
– Stir in the paprika, coriander, cumin, pepper, and tomato paste and cook to bring out the flavor of the spices.
– Add the lentils then stir in the broth, coconut milk and remaining salt. Bring the pot up to a boil, then cover and maintain a light simmer. Cook until the carrots are very soft and easily mash against the side of the pot.
– Use an immersion blender to blend until your desired consistency is reached. Or you can use a regular blender to puree the soup until mostly smooth in small batches. Be careful - it will be very hot.
– Taste the soup and add additional salt and pepper as needed. Ladle soup into bowls and serve topped with croutons, extra coconut milk, freshly chopped herbs, or more spices. Let leftovers cool completely before storing.