These Veggie-Loaded Turkey Tacos are an easy and delicious dinner the whole family will love! A great way to get more vegetables into a meal, this healthy dinner recipe is quick to make, flavorful and done in under 30 minutes.
I was recently talking to a friend about recipes and we found ourselves comparing them to clothes. There are “little black dress” recipes that are special, dazzling, perhaps a little extra, but tend not to get daily use.
And there are “t-shirt and jean” recipes that you love to enjoy on the regular. Recipes that are easy, cozy and just make you feel good. Recipes that you reach for when you want something simple, delicious, and that doesn’t require a lot of thought or fuss.
These Veggie-Loaded Turkey Tacos are 💯 a t-shirt and jeans recipe. They are delicious, amazingly simple, and are always a welcomed sight at the dinner table. A lightened up and veggie-loaded twist on the classic taco, this recipe is packed with lean protein from ground turkey and serve up four different kinds of veggies: carrots, zucchini, spinach, and onions. Requiring no fancy kitchen gear beyond a box grater and skillet, this dinner recipe is done cooking in under 30 minutes and is the perfect for a kitchen newbie!
Bonus: It is naturally gluten free when served with gluten free tortillas or over rice. Is dairy-free when you skip cheese as a topping and can be Paleo and Whole30 friendly if served over cauliflower rice! The perfect recipe to make for a crowd.
Time saving hack! Use your food processor with the “S” blade attachment to quickly chop the veggies for this turkey taco recipe and save oodles of prep time!
- Don’t have ground turkey? Feel free to use whatever ground meat you like. Ground bison, beef, or chicken would all work well.
- Use whatever veggies you have on hand. Rice cauliflower, diced peppers, and minced mushrooms all go beautifully in these turkey tacos!
- Use a food processor to finely chop or shred the veggies to save time!
- Add beans. Add cooked black or pinto beans to the turkey taco mixture after the meat is cooked or stir them in at the end.
Other easy veggie-loaded dinners your family will love…
- Cauliflower Chicken Nuggets
- No-Boil Creamy Vegetable Pasta Bake
- Turkey Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie
- Healthier Hamburger Helper (with veggies!)
- Veggie-Loaded Turkey Lasagna
- Healthier Tater Tot Casserole (with veggies)
Did you make this taco recipe and now you are hungry for more?
Veggie-Loaded Turkey Tacos
- box grater
- 1/2 large yellow onion, finely diced or 1 small yellow onion
- 1 large carrot, grated
- 1 medium zucchini, grated
- 2 cups baby spinach, finely chopped
- 1 Tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 pound ground turkey or chicken
- 15 ounces crushed or diced canned tomatoes
- 1 1/2 teaspoon kosher or sea salt or to taste
- 8 taco shells
- grated cheddar cheese, diced avocado, fresh cilantro, and or other taco toppings
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Once hot, add the grated/chopped veggies. Saute the veggies until they are softened, about 8 minutes.
- Add garlic powder, chili powder, cumin, and dried oregano. Cook for 30 seconds to combine flavors.
- Crumble the turkey meat into the skillet with the veggies and cook, breaking up the meat with the back of a wooden spoon until the veggies and meat are well combined and the meat in cooked through and no longer pink. About 7-10 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt and cook until most of the liquid in the pan has evaporated, about 5 minutes. Taste for seasoning and add additional salt if desired.
- Spoon turkey mixture into the taco shells right before eating and top with desired toppings. Enjoy warm!
- Allow leftover filling to cool completely before storing in an air-tight container in fridge for 1-2 days.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!