This Mashed Chickpea Salad is a vegetarian version of the classic tuna salad! The perfect no-cook meal that you can easily make in minutes. Enjoy it on your favorite bread, as is or on lettuce “boats” as a fun way to get extra veggies in!
Get those lunch boxes ready
It is back-to-school season, guys. We can love it. We can hate it. But it is time to set those alarm clocks, dust off those backpacks and lunch boxes and send our offspring back into the world.
Oh yes. Those dreaded school lunch boxes. The bane of so many a mama and papa’s existence. What to pack? Is this food travel friendly? What will they eat? It seems simple enough in theory, but it makes so many of our heads explode with frustration (present company included).
Lunch box happenings is one of the top things you guys come to me for. Whether it is inspiration on what I’m packing my daughter on Instagram, a lunch box round up, or even an exhausted email or DM asking for help for you guys….healthy lunch box fillings have kinda become one of my gifts to share with the world.
Mashed chickpea salad
Like this little gem of a recipe….that I have been hoarding to myself for years, oddly enough (quite a silly thing for a food blogger to do). Mashed Chickpea Salad is one of my kid’s favorite sandwich fillings and I have been making different versions of this messy-but-glorious salad for a long time.
It’s actually a spin on my Veggie-Loaded Avocado Tuna Salad and is a regular happening in our house…especially during the hotter months!
Why this mashed chickpea salad is so great?
- No cooking required! So important and awesome for speedy meals or when it is just too hot to cook!
- Kid-friendly. I have learned over the years that kids seem to really love chickpeas. Not only my own child (who, I admit, is asked to eat some pretty unique stuff as a result of being my daughter), but my friends’ kids, my students, the kids I used to babysit for in college….the list of chickpea-lovin’ kiddos goes on. Chickpeas are kid approved! You heard it here first.
- Made from mostly pantry staples. So when you are running low on dinner ideas, you can almost always throw this together.
- Adaptable. Add whatever veggies or spices you want. Leave out what you don’t have or don’t like. Make it your own!
Other chickpea recipes that your are going to love.
- Chickpea Vegetable Nuggets
- Teriyaki Broccoli Chickpea Stir Fry
- The BEST Beet Hummus
- One-Pot Curry Lentil Soup
- Gluten Free Chickpea Blondies
Loving this mashed chickpea salad and hungry for more?
Made this recipe?
And you totally loved it, right? Awesome! I’d love for you give it your review below! 👇 And make sure to share your veggie-loaded creations on by tagging me on Instagram!
Mashed Chickpea Salad
- 1 1/2 cups cooked and drained chickpeas canned chickpeas work fine too
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 1-2 teaspoons lemon juice or apple cider vinegar or to taste
- 1-2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup mayo or Greek yogurt or to taste
- 1/8 -1/4 teaspoon onion powder or to taste
- Salt & pepper, to taste
- Pour the cooked and drained chickpeas into a medium bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash the chickpeas until there are no more whole beans and to your desired consistency.
- Add diced celery, lemon juice/apple cider vinegar, mustard, mayo/Greek yogurt, onion powder, salt and pepper to the bowl. Mix well.
- Taste and adjust seasoning if needed. Add more mayo/yogurt for a creamier salad.
- Enjoy as is, on your favorite bread, over greens on on lettuce "boats."
- Nutritional calculations are made with mayo.
- Kid-friendly and no cooking required!
- This salad can be made from mostly pantry staples. So when you are running low on dinner ideas, you can almost always throw this together.
- The recipe is super adaptable. Add whatever veggies or spices you want. Leave out what you don’t have or don’t like. Make it your own!
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!