These Super Healthy Fudge Pops are creamy, delicious and the perfect chocolaty treat that will dazzle your family. Loaded with veggies, dairy-free, gluten free and super kid-approved.Jump to Recipe
I don’t know about you guys, but chocolate is the quickest way to my heart. And my family’s. Especially when it comes to frozen treats.
And these Super Healthy Fudge Pops (with veggies!) are the perfect simple healthy dessert or snack (heck, breakfast) to cool down with on the dog days of summer.
These pops were inspired by my daughter, Alice’s, favorite morning smoothie (recipe for that coming soon). One day, she couldn’t finish her morning smoothie, so I just threw the leftovers into popsicle molds to prevent wasting. Later that day, when she asked for a snack, I handed my daughter the popsicle made from the leftover chocolate smoothie. Alice’s little eyes got wide at first lick and she gave me her biggest grateful smile.
“Thanks for the yummy treat, Mom!” she said as she frantically inhaled the fudge pop.
I stood there a bit baffled for a moment, watching her inhale her popsicle that was loaded with veggies, superfoods and healthy fats. And then I felt like Superwoman! She was eating greens and spinach and feeling like she was getting dessert!
From that day on, I started making these suckers on repeat. Constantly. They make the perfect snack to refuel with after a long day of swimming or a fun dessert to enjoy (for the kids and adults) that actually benefits the body instead weighing it down.
Suggested “Boosters” (OPTIONAL)
These Super Healthy Fudge Pops on their own are simple, healthy and awesome. You really don’t have to add anything else to them, but there are a few things that you can opt to add that give them a little “boost” of nutrients and healthy goodness.
Again, these are all option boosts! Use them all or don’t use any! The choice is yours.
Chia seeds. Chia seeds are chalked full of Omega-3 fatty acids, fiber and protein. They are awesome for helping to thicken up a smoothie and are widely available. Recommended boost measurement: 2-3 tablespoons
Ground Flaxseeds. Like chia seeds, flax seeds are loaded with protein, Omega-3 fatty acids and fiber…plus they are great for getting the pipes moving in the bathroom if you or your little one(s) have constipation issues. These lovely little seeds have a mild nutty flavor and are a great thing to put in your gut, but are most easily digested when ground. Recommended boost measurement: 2-3 tablespoons
Hemp hearts. Hemp hearts are rich in Omega-3 fatty acids and protein like chia seeds and flax seeds, but are also a terrific source of iron and vitamin E. Recommended boost measurement: ¼ cup
Grass-Fed Collagen Peptides. Collagen is a wonderful thing for anyone of any age to have in their daily smoothie! It is wonderful for keeping bones healthy and strong, supports joint health, and helps keep hair, skin and nails healthy and youthful! Recommended boost measurement: 2-4 tablespoons
Other veggie-loaded desserts you are going to love
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Carrot Balls
- One-Bowl Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Muffins
- One-Bowl Peanut Butter Carrot Blondies
- Healthy Gluten Free Brownies (with zucchini)
Super Healthy Fudge Pops (with added veggies)
- popsicle molds
- 1 ripe banana (the riper the better) or to taste
- 3/4 cup diced zucchini
- 2 tbsp nut butter or sunflower seed butter or sub 1/2 a pitted avocado
- 1 cup loosely packed greens (I like to use baby spinach or kale. If using kale, make sure to remove the ribs before adding to the blender)
- 1 1/2 cups almond milk OR full-fat coconut milk or milk of choice
- 1/4 cup cacao powder OR unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup or honey* optional and to taste. *do not give honey to children under 1 year of age
- Combine milk and greens in a blender and puree until greens are pureed.
- Add remaining ingredients and any optional “boosters” (see below) that you are choosing to add to the pops. Blend again until smooth.
- Taste and adjust sweetness if needed. Portion out into ice pop molds and freeze 6-8 hours or until set.
- Once set, run warm water over the mold for a few minutes to help release the fudge pops and enjoy.