This simple, just-the-right-amount-of-sweetness Butternut Squash Smoothie is a great introductory smoothie for those who shy away from all things green! It’s smooth, thick, tangy, creamy and so delicious. This is one of my all time favorite smoothies and a wonderful way to shake up what veggies show up in your smoothie cup!
Shake up your smoothie game
I really love a good green smoothie as much as the next person, but sometimes I like to shake up my smoothie game a bit…..
Have you ever thought to add some leftover butternut squash to your smoothies? *gasp* Say what? Is that even allowed?
Totally, friends. In fact, it’s beyond allowed…it’s a stinking great idea!
Butternut Squash Smoothie
I’m sure some people might consider butternut squash in a smoothie a little out of the box, but I have come to adore butternut squash as a smoothie staple! It is a veggie that is usually available year-round in most places. And, it is even more available when you opt for the frozen or canned variety (which is exactly what this smoothie calls for)!
Butternut squash gives a smoothie a wonderful mild sweetness without kicking up the sugar, all while serving up a healthy dose of fiber, potassium and B6.
And let’s talk about the color butternut squash gives a smoothie! That beautiful coral color is one that I swear I have only ever seen in a sunrise or a sunset. And, not a hint of green….which can be a game changer in the smoothie department if you have a little (or big) one in your home that is adamant that green veggies are to be avoided at all costs.
1. If your family is used to very sweet smoothies, start with 2 cups of frozen mango or 2 bananas.
2. If you don’t care for mango or bananas, feel free to omit them and add 1 peeled naval orange or pitted dates for sweetness.
3. Skip the nut butter and sub water or coconut milk to make this smoothie nut free!
5. Skip the chia seeds or replace with ground flax.
Other veggie-loaded smoothie recipes you are going to adore…
- 15+ Fruit and Veggie Smoothies
- Mango Pineapple Cucumber Smoothie
- Pumpkin Pie Smoothie
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Simple Spinach Mango Smoothie
- Refreshing Pink Smoothie
Loving this butternut squash smoothie and hungry for more?
5-Minute Butternut Squash Smoothie
- 2 cups milk of choice I used unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup water
- ¼ cup nut butter (optional)
- 1 cup cooked and mashed butternut squash or 1½ cups cubed squash, lightly steamed
- 1 cup frozen mango or sub 1 frozen ripe banana
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon or to taste
- 1 cup frozen strawberries or raspberries or a mix of the two
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds (optional)
- Combine everything in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Taste and add more cinnamon and/or milk to create preferred consistency and flavor. Blend again. Enjoy!
- Add extra mango or banana to fit your family’s personal taste.
- If you don’t care for bananas or mango feel free to omit them and add 1 peeled naval orange or pitted dates for sweetness.
- Skip the nut butter and sub water or coconut milk to make this smoothie nut free!
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!