I hate being hot. Really hate it. I enjoy being at a comfortable and dry 73 degrees F (which is probably why I have parked myself in Southern California for the foreseable future), but anything much above that, and I find myself transforming into a whiney 5-year-old child who only wants to live off of popsicles. Call it first world problems. Call me a wimp. Call it whatever you want…but I just can’t stand hanging out in a stiflingly hot kitchen in the middle of summer, trying to cook a meal that is only adding to the uncomfortable factor of the kitchen. Which is why, I love this Summer Curry Chicken Salad.
This salad became part of this summer’s dinner lineup after I found myself staring at a pile of meat leftovers from a whole slow cooker chicken. It was a hot Sunday night and I didn’t feel much enthusiasm for creating a fancy shmancy dinner. Chicken salad is easy enough to to throw together, but I wanted something a bit….jazzier.
I flung open my pantry and stared at my spice shelf. The bottle of bright yellow curry caught my eye and a new recipe started to take form in my brain. And in a few minutes and with minimal chopping, this easy peasy jazzy curry chicken salad was born….and quickly enjoyed by my hungry family who had been waiting in the wings.
Why this recipe is so awesome:
- You can make it all in one bowl. Less dishes = all the beautiful things.
- The curry flavor is present, but mild…making it super kid-friendly and a great way to introduce a new spice to budding taste buds. Of course, if you or your family likes a real punch of curry, add more! The more curry the better in my book!
- Its quick to make and versatile! Like I said, assuming you have leftover cooked chicken on hand, this salad will take you about 5 minutes to make. Throw it into a sandwich, over a bed of baby spinach, or eat it with sliced veggies!
- 3 1/2 cups cooked chicken, de-boned and shredded with two forks (I like to use chicken left over from this recipe, but any cooked chicken will do)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons curry powder or to taste
- 3/4 cup mayo (this is the kind I used) or more to taste
- 1 medium Granny Smith apple, cored and diced
- 1 large celery stalk, diced
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- In a large bowl, combine shredded chicken, diced apple, and diced celery. Mix to combine.
- Add mayo, curry powder, sea salt, and pepper. Mix well and make sure ingredients is evenly distributed and coated in spices and mayo.
- Taste for flavor. Add more salt, pepper, mayo, or curry powder if desired. Mix again to evenly distribute added flavor.
- Enjoy with veggies, on a salad, or in a sandwich. Store leftovers for up to 4 days in fridge (the oil in mayo should prevent the sliced apple from browning).
Make sure you stay up to date with all of the happenings here on The Natural Nurturer and subscribe here.
This post contains affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kicks The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest