This Spinach Cacao Smoothie is the perfect no-cook, healthy breakfast that gets those veggies in first thing! Seriously delicious, easy to make, and adaptable, this healthy smoothie is full of plants, protein, and healthy fat.
Smoothies are one of my favorite ways to make sure I am getting veggies in, no matter how busy life is! This spinach cacao smoothie is truly the perfect start to a day and a great way to veggie-load breakfast. A delicious combination of easy ingredients that create a plant-packed healthy smoothie that everyone will get excited about.
This smoothie is my daughter’s twist on my Blueberry Spinach Smoothie. You can customize to make it dairy-free/vegan or up to protein. Done in 5 minutes, it is perfectly sweet with a chocolatey twist!
What is the difference between cacao and cocoa powder?
Cacao and cocoa powder are used pretty interchangeably in many recipes, but there are some differences between these two products.
Both are made from cacao beans. But it is in the processing that changes the beans into either cacao or cocoa powder.
When making cacao powder, a low temperature is used and many experts consider it to be a raw food. Cacao powder contains a high amount of enzymes, minerals, and nutrients. Compared to cocoa powder, cacao is bit more bitter.
Cocoa powder is made when the cacao beans are cooked at a much higher temperature. The higher temp is thought to remove some of the cacao beans natural health benefits.
Need to make this cacao smoothie without banana?
Many smoothie recipes are made with bananas because it makes for a creamy, naturally sweetened smoothie. However, there are some people who are allergic to banana or simply don’t like them. If you need to replace the banana in this spinach cacao smoothie, you can swap it out with 1 cup of frozen mango. Or, use and make this without the 1 cup of frozen cauliflower (I promise you won’t taste it!) and add in a tablespoon of maple syrup or 3 pitted dates.
Want to make sure you always have spinach on hand for this cacao smoothie? Check out my tips & tricks for keeping spinach fresh all week!
- Make it dairy-free by replacing the Greek yogurt with your favorite coconut yogurt and using your favorite plant milk.
- Add chia seeds or hemp hearts to this smoothie before blending.
- Throw in some ground flax seeds.
- Add a scoop of your favorite protein powder or collagen powder too boost the protein.
- Replace the blueberries with strawberries or frozen raspberries.
- Freeze leftovers as popsicles for a healthy dessert.
- No cacao powder? Use unsweetened cocoa powder.
- Replace the banana with 1 cup frozen mango.
Tips for making the best cacao smoothie
- Blend it in stages especially if you don’t have a high-speed blender. Blending the spinach, yogurt and milk first will puree the spinach and make sure you don’t have any leafy bits in your smoothie.
- Make it vegan and/or Paleo by making it dairy-free (see above for suggestions on how).
- Adjust the sweetness to fit your personal preference. If you like your smoothies sweeter, add an extra banana to the blend. If you like them less sweet, reduce to 1/2 a banana or skip it all together in this cacao spinach smoothie.
More amazing veggie-loaded smoothie recipes…
- Easy Green Smoothie for kids
- Vitamin C Immune Boosting Smoothie
- Chocolate Banana Smoothie (with veggies)
- Sunrise Butternut Squash Smoothie
- Creamy Cauliflower & Blueberry Smoothie
- Healthy Peanut Butter Chocolate Smoothie (with greens!)
Did you try this veggie-loaded smoothie recipe and now you’re hungry for more?
Sign up so that my newsletter is delivered straight to your inbox. And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all kinds of veggie-loaded living ideas!
Spinach Cacao Smoothie
- 1-2 cups loosely packed spinach
- 1 cup milk of choice or to taste
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt or use coconut yogurt for a dairy-free option
- 1 cup frozen blueberries or if using fresh, add ice to the smoothie
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter or almond butter or use sunflower seed butter for a nut-free option
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- ice optional
- Combine spinach, milk and yogurt in your blender. Blend until smooth and there are not bits of spinach left.
- Add remaining ingredients and blend again.
- Taste. Add extra milk or some water if a thinner consistency is desired.
- Enjoy immediately.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!
Made these dairy free for my kids and I and we loved them! I just left the banana out for mine-allergy-no replacement needed, and added one to theirs. Used unsweetened almondmilk and unsweetened vanilla coconut yogurt. Will definitely make them again and try adding hemp hearts and collagen next time! Great texture and flavor!
Taesha’s recipes are a staple in our house and every one we’ve shared with friends/family are raved about too!
Thank you, Courtney! I am so glad you all enjoyed it and I appreciate you sharing!
A true favorite in our house!