This Slow Cooker Golden Soup is savory, flavorful, and packed with all kinds of natural goodness to kick you into healthy gear for the new year. With only 8 ingredients, you can throw this pot of hot liquid gold together in minutes and come home to coziest and nourishing of meals.
New ideas, goals and hopes
Ah, yes. It’s the start of a fresh new year. Full of new ideas, dreams, goals, and hopes. We are all ready to conquer the world….now if we could just stop feeling like an over-sized slug that can’t make it off the couch due to all of the indulgences we enjoyed during the holidays, then we might actually get around to making some of those goals, dreams, and hopes a reality.
I overdid it this holiday season. I’m not going to pretend otherwise. I went into the holiday season with the best of healthy and balanced intentions…but then kind of got lost in the sea of cookies and merlots that were lovingly be offered to me in celebration.
Always listen to your body
It’s amazing how your body talks to you and tells you exactly what it needs (and what it definitely doesn’t) if you listen closely enough. Taking note of how you feel after certain foods, how your skin looks, your mood and even the quality of your sleep are all bread crumbs that your body leaves you, pointing you in the direction of how to best fuel it.
And my body has been doing some serious talking, lately. Angry talk. Bloated, tired, sluggish, blah talk that I remember all too well from my pre-clean eating days. Clearly the sugar that came with the holidays encouraged me to slip a bit too far back into my old habits (those suckers never really die, you just don’t practice them as much) and my body is not happy.
Move on early
But it’s cool. Because one morning this week I decided to get over the “but it’s still the holidays” mentality that you get between Christmas and New Years and start listening to by body’s screaming request for some healing goodness.
And goodness is what I made. In my slow cooker. With lots of veggies. And bone broth. And oodles of turmeric. Well, now…I’ve basically just given away the whole recipe.
Slow Cooker Golden Soup
So why did i make this soup “golden”, you ask? Sugar is a jerk…big time. Sugar triggers the release of the inflammatory messengers in the body and the more sugar you eat, the more of those irritating messengers are going to be hanging around your body.
And since the holidays are riddled with sugary goods (cookies, alcohol, candy, hot chocolate), those jerky messengers are camping in your body and inviting the relatives to come and visit! So, I want to give my body a major blast of anti-inflammatory foods to get my body feeling up to snuff again.
Why using turmeric?
Turmeric is one of those amazing herbs that has been used for generation upon generation one of nature’s most wondrous anti-inflammatories and there is a big heaping serving of turmeric in this soup. You’ll probably be seeing a lot of my upcoming recipes have turmeric in them, since I’m a bit of a turmeric groupie and seem to be putting it into everything lately.
How about bone broth?
Bone broth is another key player in this anti inflammatory slow cooker concoction, as the proteins in bone broth are strongly anti-inflammatory. I personally make my own bone broth in my slow cooker at home for the sake of cost, deliciousness and I believe strongly in using the entirety of the animals that we opt to eat.
However, if you are following a vegan or vegetarian diet, you can certainly substitute vegetable broth into this soup and still enjoy some of the anti-inflammatory benefits this soup has to offer.
Okay, now that I’ve rattled off all of my rhyme and reason to you guys about this soup…can I just say..
This soup is so freaking delicious
I don’t even care that I’m tooting my own horn here, because it really is just that stinking good. Its cozy and filling, but so easy to make. I’ve taken to enjoying it for breakfast or to take in my travel mug to sip on as I embark on my day.
I also think I will be keeping a batch of it on the freezer to defrost in the blink of an eye the moment illness starts to creep into my house.
It is likely to become a staple in my house for many different meals and reasons….as I think it will for you.
Other healthy soup recipes that you will adore…
- One Pot Vegetable Quinoa Chicken Soup
- Creamy Mushroom Vegetable Rice Soup (dairy-free)
- 10+ Easy Vegetarian Soup Recipes
- Veggie-Loaded Lasagna Soup (vegetarian)
- Creamy Cauliflower Vegetarian Potato Soup
Loving this slow cooker golden soup and hungry for more?
Slow Cooker Golden Soup
- 2 1/2 cups diced tomatoes
- 1 small yellow onion (about 1/2 cup)
- 3/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 3 cups bone broth or vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 1 can full fat coconut milk
- Combine everything except coconut milk in your slow cooker. Stir. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 6 hours.
- Once the soup is done cooking, use an immersion blender to puree the soup until it is very smooth and all of the vegetable chunks pieces are blended. If you don’t have an immersion blender, you can also puree the soup in your blender in batches. Just be very careful when transferring the soup to blender, as it will be very hot.
- Add the coconut milk to the soup, blending or stirring for a minute or two to combine.
- Enjoy immediately garnished with a little olive oil and/or additional salt and pepper to taste.
- Be very careful when transferring the soup to blender, as it will be very hot.
- If you are following a vegan or vegetarian diet, you can certainly substitute vegetable broth into this soup and still enjoy some of the anti-inflammatory benefits this soup has to offer.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!
This post contains affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kicks The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest