Chocolate zucchini Paleo muffins that are so delicious and easy. This recipe is naturally Grain/Gluten Free, Dairy Free, veggie-loaded and kid-friendly! And it is mixed all in one bowl, so there are less dishes! Always a win!
Recipe published 9/14/2015. Updated 6/13/2020
Chocolate Zucchini Paleo Muffins
TNNers, I have a muffin problem. No, really. I can’t seem to stop making them. Of course, I’m not sure I want to stop.
Okay, it’s a minor problem next to figuring out world peace and such, but I swear my muffin tin has been working some serious overtime as of late. But, how does one not love muffins? I believe it may be impossible. They are portion sized hunks of sweet bread that are not only travel sized, but also perfect for storing in the fridge or freezer until they are needed on the dash (or on the lazy, whichever comes first).
I make them for lunch box “treats” (my daughter has a muffin problem, too), to have on hand for breakfast on those mornings where I ignored my alarm clock for a few too many snooze sessions, or just because they are awesome. Muffins are one of my great loves and I make no apologizes for that fact.
Suggested adaptations when making Chocolate Zucchini Paleo Muffins.
- Replace the zucchini with grated summer squash! Just be sure to also squeeze out the moisture before adding it to the batter
- Reduce the sugar. These muffins are naturally sweetened with a small amount of honey or maple syrup and your favorite chocolate chips. But natural sweetener is still sugar. So if that is something you would like less of in your life, you can skip the chocolate chips all together and reduce the honey/maple syrup in this Paleo muffin recipe to 1/4 cup. The muffins will be mild in sweetness, but still yummy and veggie-loaded!
- Bake as a loaf. Same temperature, but bake for 45-50 minutes instead!
Other Paleo muffin recipes you are going to adore!
- Paleo Almond Butter Blueberry Zucchini Muffins
- Chocolate Chip Paleo Pumpkin Muffins
- Lemon Paleo Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Muffins (with butternut squash)
Chocolate Zucchini Paleo Muffins
- Muffin tin
- 1 cup grated zucchini
- 2 tablespoon melted coconut oil or avocado oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup maple syrup or honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour or arrowroot flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
- 1/4 cup dairy-free chocolate chips + extra for sprinkling on top
- Preheat your oven to 350℉ and line a muffin tin with 9 liners.
- Take shredded zucchini and put it in the middle of a clean dish towel or large paper towel. Wrap up the zucchini and press down to help squeeze out the moisture. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients except for the zucchini and chocolate chips. Mix until well combined and batter is smooth.
- Fold in shredded zucchini.
- Then fold in chocolate chips.
- Portion out the batter into the prepared muffin tin and top with extra chocolate chips if desired.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool for 20 minutes before enjoying. Once completely cool, store in fridge for up to 5 days.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!