This One-Pot Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta recipe is made with lots of amazing squash and even some spinach! Perfectly cheesy and cooked up in one pot, this cozy veggie-loaded dinner is done and on the table in under 30 minutes!Jump to Recipe
Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
Happy (officially) fall! Life is busy with back-to-school, returning to old schedules or embracing new ones. Many people have holiday prep on the brain and the days are getting shorter and shorter. Days are cool(er) and we all want to hunker down with something cozy at the end of a busy autumn day.
Enter all the veggie-loaded comfort food! I love a good slow cooker soup, an Instant Pot stew, or veggie-packed lasagna during this time of the year, but I am currently loving oh-so-hard on this One-Pot Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta!
This amazing, easy fall dinner is the creation of my dear friend, busy mama, and fellow veggie enthusiast, Heather from Happy Kids Kitchen. Heather is no stranger to TNN, contributing other amazing veggie-loaded recipes such as Healthy Taco Stuffed Peppers and Healthy Sweet Potato Pancakes.
Heather’s site is also full of other amazing recipes that are kid-approved, wonderful to make with your little one AND that you are going to adore! I personally recommend the Homemade Fish Nuggets…they are a TNN family favorite!
Why this one-pot pasta is so amazing…
- It is made in one-pot! I believe that is the dream of all meals for busy families! Less dishes in the sink at the end of dinner is always a good thing!
- Full of veggies! My goal with every recipe I serve up here is to help YOU serve up veggies in a delicious and exciting way…and this recipe 100% does just that!
- Cheesy goodness to the max. I feel like cheese makes veggies soooo much more exciting to veggie-iffy eaters.
- Like a healthier mac and cheese!
- Is made in 30 minutes or less. Because who needs to spend MORE time in the kitchen at the end of a busy day? Not me! And not you. This recipe is great to plug in on those nights when we are short on time but still want to serve up a great meal.
- Give it a cheesy crust. Make in a large, oven-safe dutch-oven, sauce pot or pan with high sides. Reserve 1/4 cup mozzarella. Preheat broiler. Sprinkle reserved mozzarella on top of pasta. Broil until golden brown. Serve warm.
- Add peas for extra veggie-loading!
- Use frozen butternut squash to make this dinner extra easy to prep.
- Make it gluten free by using gluten free brown rice pasta
- Adjust amount of cheese to fit your family’s preference.
- Add canned tuna or cooked chicken for a boost of protein!
Other amazing pasta recipes that you are going to love
- Lentil Mushroom Pasta
- Pumpkin Pasta Sauce (quick & easy)
- Creamy Cauliflower Alfredo Sauce (vegan)
- Veggie-Loaded Turkey Lasagna
- Kid-Friendly Vegetable Sauce
One-Pot Cheesy Butternut Squash Pasta
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup finely chopped onion (1 small or 1/2 large)
- 12 ounces peeled and diced butternut squash about 3 cups
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic minced, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups vegetable broth, chicken broth, or water
- 1-3 cups water how much you will need will depend on what pasta you use
- 12 ounces pasta, any small shape I used brown rice pasta
- 2 cups baby spinach
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese + extra for garnish is desired
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- Add oil to a large sauce pot over medium heat. Add onion and cook until in begins to soften, about 2 minutes.
- Add squash and salt and cook, stirring often, until the onion begins to get golden brown. Add garlic and Italian seasoning and cook another minute. Lower heat if onion begins to get too brown.
- Add in broth and 1 cup of water, scraping up any bits stuck to the bottom of the pan. Stir in pasta. Add in any additional water needed to just cover the pasta with liquid. Bring up to a boil then reduce heat to maintain a simmer. Stir occasionally until pasta is cooked through, usually about 10 to 12 minutes depending on what kind of pasta you use.
- Once pasta is cooked, drain off extra liquid if needed. Stir in spinach to wilt. Stir in parmesan cheese and mozzarella. Taste and season with additional salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve and enjoy warm. Top with extra parmesan if desired.