Just 7 superfood ingredients and a food processor is all that stands between you and these No-Bake Superfood Bites! Loaded with all kinds of good-for-you stuff, these bites are naturally-sweetened and make for the perfect healthy dessert or snack you can throw together any time!
Truth be told, I kind of dislike the term “superfood.” I mean, all real food is pretty super, in my book. But, there are *some* foods out there that do pack a healthier punch than others.
What exactly IS a “superfood?”
Yeah, I know. It kind of sounds like a trendy term, but superfoods are actually a legit thing. A “superfood” is defined by the dictionary as
nutrient-rich food considered to be especially beneficial for health and well-being
…..so, I guess they are kind of super…..
And these No-Bake Superfood Bites have a lot of those awesome foods that do oodles of goodness for your body….but maybe you don’t really know HOW to get into your diet.
Cacao is the less-processed big sister of the cocoa powder that we all grew up on stirring into warm milk to create hot chocolate. Chocolaty in flavor, it is loaded with antioxidants and flavanols (rumored to help reduce the risk of all kinds of things like heart disease and cancer….as well as keep everything in your body young and healthy).
These suckers are a rich source of energy, fiber, vitamins and minerals. Like cacao, dates have antioxidants and are high in potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorous, manganese, copper and magnesium!
Hemp seeds have an amazing balance of omega 3 to omega 6, iron, vitamin E, and all of the essential amino acids. They are also loaded with plant-power protein!
Almonds are one of the most nutrient dense nuts out there. They are packed with potassium, calcium, vitamin E, magnesium, phosphorous, and iron.
Made up of 40% protein and loaded with amino acids and vitamins, and folic acid, bee pollen is one amazing food! But, you may want to skip this superfood if you are planning to serve these bites to someone who has/might have a bee allergy, as the pollen *might* cause an allergic reaction. Also, pregnant women and those who are breastfeeding may want to consult their doctor before adding bee pollen into their diets!
Okay, this one might not be an official “superfood”, but it is PACKED WITH superfoods. This convenient, delicious powder is chock full of superfood goodness like spirulina, spinach, broccoli sprouts, and blueberries (seriously, just to name a few) and truly brings a new level of health to anything it is added to. If you are interested in trying Paleovalley’s Supergreens (or any of their other amazing products) enter the Promo Code “nurture” at check out for 30% OFF your entire order from now until November 1, 2017
Okay, so now that you know what a superfood is and why they are so dang super…its time to start eating them! And, may I suggest, start getting them into your diet by eating these eating these No-Bake Superfood Bites!
But be careful….because you aren’t going to want to stop. Trust me. I know first hand. And so does my husband. And daughter. And pretty much anyone else I’ve given them to. Healthy for you AND stinkin’ delicious. Magic in bite-sized form.
Disclaimer: Thank you to Paleovalley for sponsoring this post! My promise to you, my readers, is to only promote content and products that I truly believe in and buy myself. All opinions stated in this post are my own.
Makes 15 bites
- 1 1/2 cup pitted dates
- 1/3 cup cacao powder
- 1 level tablespoon Paleovalley Supergreens powder
- 3 tablespoons shelled raw hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds
- 1/3 cup almond meal
- 1 tablespoons bee pollen* (see above note)
- Extra hemp seeds, almond meal and/or ground flax seeds for rolling (optional)
1. Put the pitted dates in a medium bowl and cover them with hot water. Soak for 15 minutes and then drain. This step softens the dates and makes them a little easier on your food processor and helps the bites be a little less chewy!
2. While the dates are soaking, combine all of the other ingredients (minus whatever you’ve decided to roll your finished bites in) In your food processor. Pulse a few times to mix. Pour into a medium bowl and set aside.
3. Place the pitted dates in the (now empty) food processor and run. Make sure you evenly distribute the dates in the food processor. Dates are taxing on food processors and we want to not make the job harder on this beloved (and needed) appliance. Run until the dates are well blended. This step might cause your food processor to shake a bit. Just hold it down with your hand for your own peace of mind and it’ll all be over in a minute or two.
4. Once the dates have been well blended in your food processor, add the other blended ingredients to the food processor and run until everything is well combined. You may need to scrape down the sides of your food processor a few times to make sure everything gets mixed in.
5. Using clean wet hands (this helps the date batter from sticking to you), roll the date mixture into golf ball sized bites. Garnish them by rolling them in some bonus hemp seeds, flax meal or almond meal….. but this is an optional step! Arrange bites on a plate or cookie sheet.
6. Once done rolling the bites, pop them into the freezer for an hour to harden up a bit or enjoy immediately!
7. Once leftovers have hardened up a bit, store them in a freezer safe container for up to 3 weeks! Enjoy at will directly from freezer or slightly defrosted.
MAKE SURE YOU STAY UP TO DATE WITH ALL OF THE HAPPENINGS HERE ON THE NATURAL NURTURER AND SUBSCRIBE HERE.
This post contains affiliate links, though all opinions are my own. When you purchase anything using my links, it costs you absolutely nothing extra, but it does kick The Natural Nurturer a little financial love to keep doing what we do. Thank you for your continued support, both with your dollars and your interest.