These Mashed Instant Pot Potatoes with Cauliflower are delicious, creamy and easy! You can get these mashed potatoes on the table in about 30 minutes! Plus, they’re a great way to get more cauliflower into your family’s diet!Jump to Recipe
Published January 22, 2019. Updated January 15, 2020
I think I have said it in pretty much every single cauliflower recipe that I have, but we are not big cauliflower people in The Natural Nurturer household. And while I do love it roasted and riced, it is rarely my first veggie of choice. Which is probably on of the reasons I tend to veggie-load so many recipes with cauli….because I have to talk myself into eating it in creative ways!
You see, veggie-loading isn’t just for kids. It’s for us adults too. It helps us to still eat food we love…while still eating things that nourish and fuel our bodies with all sorts of import nutrients.
Such as cauliflower.
Cauliflower is pretty awesome, as it is high in fiber, is a great source of antioxidants, is high in choline (a nutrient that many people are low in and that is important in maintaining the integrity of cell membranes and brain development (source)), and is rich source of vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, magnesium, phosphorus, vitamin B6, folate, potassium, and manganese.
So, as much as I don’t love cauliflower….I see why it is worth veggie-loading my foods with!
Such as mashed potatoes. Now that is a dish my family loves! Rich and creamy. Full of savory flavors and a great texture, mashed potatoes is a dish we are always happy to see show up at dinner.
So, it occurred to me one day that marrying potatoes and cauliflower into one big bowl of delicious mashed goodness might be the ideal side for our family dinners.
And while I thought it might be a great veggie-loaded recipe to add to the blog, I was absolutely convinced that this was a recipe you guys would love when I watched my 7-year-old daughter lick her bowl of Instant Pot Garlic Cauliflower Potato Mash clean and ask for seconds.
So, yeah….you guys are gonna want to make this.
Recipes to serve with Mashed Instant Pot Potatoes with Cauliflower
- Veggie-Loaded Chicken Bites
- Healthy Ranch Spinach Turkey Meatballs
- Beef & Mushroom Meatballs
- Chicken & Spaghetti Squash Bites
- Up the cauliflower. Want to cut back on the potatoes while still keeping that great flavor and texture? Reduce the amount of potato in this recipe and up how much cauli you add!
- Switch out the Russet potatoes for red! Red potatoes have a great creamy texture and would also work wonderful in this mash.
Other veggie-loaded Instant Pot recipes you are going to need to make…like NOW
- Instant Pot Black Bean & Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup (+ slow cooker instructions)
- Mexican Slow Cooker Chicken Stew
- Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Chicken
Mashed Instant Pot Potatoes with Cauliflower
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 pound Russet potatoes washed, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 medium head of cauliflower (about 3-4 cups) washed and cut into florets
- 1 cup broth
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 2-3 cloves garlic peeled, or to taste
- 2 tbsp coconut oil, olive oil or butter or to taste (for Whole30 or Paleo, use coconut or olive oil)
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt, sour cream or full fat coconut milk for a dairy-free option (for Paleo or Whole30, use coconut milk)
- black pepper to taste
- freshly chopped herbs like parsley, chives or rosemary optional
- In your Instant pot, combine cauliflower, potatoes, broth, salt, garlic and herbs (if using)
- Place the lid on you Instant Pot and lock it into place. Make sure the valve is switched to sealing.
- Using the MANUAL mode, cook the potatoes and cauliflower on HIGH pressure for 8 minutes. It will take your Instant Pot about 10 minutes to get up to pressure.
- Once done cooking, quick release the pressure.
- Using a potato masher, mash potatoes, cauliflower and garlic together. Add the oil/butter and yogurt/sour cream/coconut milk and mash a bit more to combine. For extra an extra smooth mash, transfer everything from the Instant Pot (including remaining liquid) to to a food processor. Add yogurt/sour cream/coconut milk and oil/butter and pulse until the mixture is smooth.
- Taste and season with black pepper or more salt if desired.
- Enjoy hot. Store leftovers in your fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!