Lemon Garlic Chicken Stuffed Peppers
These Lemon Garlic Chicken Stuffed Peppers are easy, loaded with flavor, and are so delicious! A simple healthy no-cook meal for summer and are Paleo, Whole30 and gluten free!Jump to Recipe
I think summer is a challenging time for a lot of people when it comes to eating healthy meals…myself included!
We are all busy, enjoying the season. Spending weekends at the beach. Headed out on vacations. Shuttling kids to camps. And trying to stay focused on our to-do lists despite the beautiful weather calling our names. Summer keeps us busy in the best possible way, but doesn’t always leave a lot of time (or energy) to cook.
And then there is the heat. Heat does not make anyone excited about cooking dinner. I’m confident that my family orders out more during the summer then we do any other time during the year because I am simply doing my best to avoid turning my oven and stove on. But this year, I was determined to create easy, healthy no-cooking-required meals not only for our family to enjoy, but to inspire all of you to make over calling of takeout.
Which is when these Lemon Garlic Chicken Stuffed Peppers were born! The perfect way to use up leftover chicken from the grill and a heavenly combination of flavors and textures in a simple, yet delicious and satisfying meal!
Skip the bread and bring on the bell peppers!
Have you ever used a bell pepper instead of bread when making a sandwich? Sounds crazy, right? But it totally works and gives any sandwich (expect for maybe a PB&J) a really great veggie-loaded twist. The bell pepper adds crunch and tons of nutrients (a red bell pepper has more vitamin C than an orange!) to a simple meal that just tastes like summer!
If you like sweeter peppers, opt for a red, yellow or orange bell pepper. Or opt for a green bell pepper to enjoy a more neutral flavor.
Want to find out the BEST way to cut bell peppers? Head over to my How To Cut a Bell Pepper…to minimize waste! post!
How to cook chicken ahead of time
This recipe is pretty forgiving and you can use whatever kind of cooked chicken you have on hand that needs to be used up…assuming its not drowning in BBQ sauce.
TIP: To make it super easy (and totally no-cook for you) and grab a precooked rotisserie chicken from your super market.
If you want to make chicken intentionally for this recipe, thats cool too. I like to make a big batch of chicken on Sundays during my meal prep so I can use some for salads and no-cook easy dishes…like these lemon garlic chicken stuffed peppers!
Here are a few methods of cooking your chicken.
- Roast. If you are roasting a whole chicken, try this method. If you are just cooking up a few chicken breasts, try this recipe.
- Instant Pot. This is how I tend to make my chicken. It is easy to throw in, cook and have on hand for the week or a recipe. It takes far less time and is especially great if you haven’t prepped the ingredients for this recipe ahead of time. For a whole chicken, try this method. For chicken breasts or boneless thighs, try this recipe.
- Slow cooker. Try this recipe for a whole chicken. Or for chicken breasts, try this one.
- Grill. As I am writing this, summer and grilling season are starting and this recipe is great for using up whatever leftover simple grilled chicken you might have leftover from a BBQ. Bonus, it will give this salad a great smokey flavor!
Tips and suggestions for making Lemon Garlic Chicken Stuffed Peppers
- If making ahead of time, don’t fill the peppers until right before serving. If you are taking them for lunch, its fine to fill the peppers in the morning, though.
- No peppers? Enjoy this salad on big leaves of lettuce or over a big salad!
- Put it on bread! You can layer this chicken salad on your favorite bread, but I suggest adding some grated carrots into the mix for a touch of sweetness and to keep your meal veggie-loaded!
Other recipes you are going to love
- Veggie-Loaded Spring Chicken Salad
- Healthy & Easy Turkey Burgers
- Glorious Green Veggie Chicken Burgers
- Slow Cooker Lemon Thyme Chicken
Loving the veggie-loaded goodness and hungry for more?Sign up so that my newsletter is delivered straight to your inbox. And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all kinds of veggie-loaded living ideas!
Lemon Garlic Chicken Salad Stuffed Peppers
- 4 cups cooked and cubed chicken
- 1/2 cup mayo, if Whole30, ensure that mayo is Whole30 compliant
- 1 tsp salt, or to taste
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- 1 tsp garlic powder, or 2 cloves roasted garlic, minced.
- pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- zest of 1/2 a lemon
- 3 bell peppers
- In a large bowl, combine mayo, garlic powder, salt & pepper, chives, lemon zest and lemon juice. Whisk together.
- Add the chicken to the bowl and toss until everything is evenly coated in dressing. Taste and add more salt, pepper or garlic powder if desired.
- When ready to enjoy, slice bell peppers in halve length wise. Deseed and lay cut-side up on a plate
- Fill the bell peppers with the chicken salad and enjoy.