Blueberry Lemon Paleo Scones
These Lemon Blueberry Paleo Scones are the perfect tasty, tangy breakfast treat! Great for dunking in coffee or handing to the kids on a busy morning, these wedges of yum are Paleo, dairy-free, gluten free, and grain-free!
TNNers, when I tell you these scones are good….I mean it! I should know, as I have made them about 5 times in the past week just trying to make it sconey perfection for you all.
I love scones…truly. Madly Deeply.
They are probably one of my all-time favorite baked goods. But until recently, I kind of thought scones fell in the same category as all of my ex-boyfriends: fond memories but ultimately no good for me. However, it would appear that I was wrong (about the scones not ex-boyfriends).
While I am not strictly Paleo (by any means), I do find that grain-free baked goods stick with me longer than traditional scones, muffins, and breads. So I do enjoy baking them and have many in my back pocket that have become favorites.
I created this Paleo scone recipe on Saturday morning when I was HUNGRY but really wanted a scone to enjoy with my morning coffee. So I did what I do best and got creative in the kitchen.
A little of this. A little of that. And into the oven my creation went. And after a little time hanging out in a toasty hot oven, my sconey creation was born….and it was GOOD!
Good enough to dunk in my coffee that morning, but not good enough for the blog. So I tried again. And again. And again! Until, after (literally) 5 batches of scones later, I bring you my new favorite PALEO baked good… Lemon Blueberry Paleo Scones.
Other Paleo baked goods you will want to sink your teeth into
- Chocolate Zucchini Paleo Muffins
- One-Bowl Carrot Paleo Muffins
- Lemon Paleo Muffins
- Paleo Apple Cinnamon Muffins
- Paleo Lemon Squash Scone
Lemon Blueberry Paleo Scones
- 3/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, chilled
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 2 large eggs
- 1/3 cup almond or coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- zest of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 375℉.
- In a medium bowl, combine coconut flour, tapioca flour, baking soda, salt and coconut sugar. Mix until everything is incorporated.
- Add chilled coconut oil to the flour mixture. Using a fork, cut the coconut oil in until the mixture is crumbly.
- Add blueberries to the flour mixture. Toss the blueberries in the flour a few times to coat them. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine eggs, milk, vanilla and lemon zest. Whisk together until well blended.
- Pour the contents of the small bowl into the flour/blueberry mixture.
- Carefully mix to combine until the batter has an even consistency.
- Add lemon juice to the scone batter, stirring again to work the flavor in. Let batter sit for a few minutes to allow the coconut flour to absorb liquids.
- Scoop the batter onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Using your hands, form the batter into a circle, flattening it to be between 1/2″ and 3/4″ thick.
- Using a knife or bench knife, slice the circle into 8 wedges. Bake the scones for 20 to 25 minutes or until they’re slightly golden brown.
- Remove the scones from the oven, and cool completely. Like most coconut flour baked goods, the scones will have the best texture when cool.
- When the scones are completely cool, put them in an air tight container and store in the fridge for up to 4 days.