This Instant Pot creamy mushroom chicken recipe is not only deliciously flavorful and creamy, but made entirely in your pressure cooker. Quick and easy, it is dairy-free, Paleo and Whole30.Jump to Recipe
I have always loved a good creamy mushroom chicken recipe, but it seems to be something I only ever eat at restaurants. One night when trying to pull together dinner, I spied a box of white mushrooms my husband had bought on a whim. Thinking of my favorite restaurant dish, I decided to see if I could make my own healthy version of creamy mushroom chicken, but one that was simple and easy enough to make even on the busiest of nights.
What I created was a delightfully easy dinner that feels all kinds of fancy. This simple, fuss-free creamy mushroom chicken will come together in your Instant Pot in minutes and can be enjoyed over/along all sorts of sides!
How to serve creamy mushroom chicken
This recipe goes great with mashed or roasted potatoes, rice, rice cauliflower, your favorite pasta, quinoa or steamed/roasted veggies.
What mushrooms can I use?
I used white mushrooms but these other types would work beautifully in this recipe:
- baby bellas
- pretty much any mushroom you snag at the store!
Suggested adaptations for making creamy mushroom chicken
- Dairy free not important? Use heavy cream instead of coconut milk in the sauce.
- No Instant Pot? Make it on the stove top! Much of this recipe uses the saute feature of the Instant Pot, which is something easy to do on the stove. Simple follow recipe as directed in a skillet. After the mushrooms and onions have been cooked, add the chicken back in to the skillet, cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through. Consider cutting your chicken into a few pieces to help it cook a bit fast when cooking on stove top.
- Skip the spinach. If green isn’t your thing, leave the spinach out this all together.
- Add a little Dijon mustard to the sauce! If you enjoy dijon mustard, you might want to add about 1/2 – 1 teaspoons of it to the sauce of this creamy mushroom chicken mixture when you add the coconut milk!
Other Instant Pot dinner recipes you are going to love…..
- Instant Pot Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
- Slow Cooker + Instant Pot Butternut Squash Chicken Curry
- Instant Pot Paleo Pumpkin Chili
Instant Pot Creamy Mushroom Chicken
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts
- Sea salt and pepper to season chicken to taste
- 3 tbsp avocado oil or oil with high smoke point, divided if dairy-free isn't important, you can use butter or ghee
- 8 oz white mushrooms washed and sliced
- 1 small white onion peeled and chopped
- 3-4 cloves garlic, minced to taste
- 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 2 cups stock or broth
- 1/2 cup full-fat coconut milk if dairy-free isn't important, you can sub heavy cream
- 4 tsp tapioca or arrowroot starch can sub cornstarch
- 3-4 handfuls baby spinach
- Season both sides of chicken with salt and pepper.
- Turn your Instant Pot to sauté and add 2 tablespoon oil. Once hot, add the seasoned chicken and brown both sides of chicken. About 3 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken from Instant Pot with tongs and set aside for a moment.
- Add remaining oil to the Instant Pot. Once hot, add onions, mushrooms and garlic. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are tender. About 5 minutes.
- Season with more salt and pepper if desired.
- Turn off your Instant Pot. Add broth/stock and Italian seasoning. Use a wooden or long spoon to scrape and deglaze the bottom of the Instant Pot.
- Add chicken back to the instant pot and lock lid into place and make sure valve is switched to sealing.
- Cook on HIGH pressure for 5 minutes. If your chicken breasts are extra thick, consider cutting them in half or adding an extra minute or two the cooking time. It will take your Instant Pot about 7-10 minutes to get up to pressure
- While chicken cooks, mix the tapioca/arrowroot and milk, whisking until lumps are gone. Set aside.
- After cook time is over, quick release the pressure and carefully open the lid.
- Remove the chicken and place on a cutting board or plate.
- Add coconut milk mixture to the mushrooms and stir to combine.
- Again, turn your Instant Pot to the saute function and let everything cook for about 5 minutes or until sauce thickens.
- Taste and season as needed. If sauce is too thick, add a little extra broth to thin it out.
- Add spinach. Stir a few times to incorporate and to slightly wilt the spinach in the hot sauce.
- Slice chicken if desired and stir back into the sauce
- Serve warm with rice, pasta, steamed/roasted veggies, baked potatoes or quinoa.