Cooking fresh artichokes perfectly in an Instant Pot couldn’t be easier. This simple and quick recipe is my favorite way to cook this vegetable. Guidance for cutting and prepping fresh artichokes for the Instant Pot included!
Instant Pot Artichokes
Artichokes are one of those veggies that I am still teaching myself to buy, make and enjoy, TNNers. While I enjoy their flavor and find them fun to eat, I have always found artichokes to be a “fussy” vegetable that seemed to be a pain to cook.
However, my daughter recently has become obsessed with the idea of artichokes and so I banking on that veggie interest of her’s and looking for easy ways to get artichokes on the menu more often!
And you know what I have discovered? Artichokes in the Instant Pot are the least fussy, time consuming way to make these veggies!
You know that I love easy Instant pot recipes, so while I was totally dazzled to find out that cooking artichokes in the Instant Pot is a game changer! Done in about 30 minutes and super easy to make, this healthy how-to is the perfect fast way to add vegetables to the table, even on a busy night!
Prep and how to cut an artichoke
Before you cook artichokes in the Instant Pot, they need a little primping. Fun fact: the artichoke that we eat are actually the flower of the artichoke plant and not all of it is edible. The part that we all want to eat is the heart of the artichoke and it is located in the center of the flower/vegetable. So, by doing a little prep work is needed.
- Cut off the dry portion of the artichoke stem with a serrated knife.
- Next, carefully cut off the top 1/3 (about 1 inch) of each artichoke.
- Next, using kitchen sheers, carefully trim off the tips of the remaining leaves.
- Give your artichokes a good rinsing next, spreading the leaves a bit with your fingers to let the water flow through a flush out any dirt or bugs hiding inside.
- Good to go! This method of prep is good for however you cook your artichokes!
These Instant Pot Artichokes are naturally vegan, dairy free, gluten free, nut free, soy free, Paleo…and everything in between. So, they are the perfect vegetable side no matter your eating style.
How to cook the perfect artichoke
The trick to the perfect artichoke is not to over cook it and not to under cook it. It is a delicate balance of time.
There are many methods for cooking an artichoke, of course, but this Instant Pot artichoke recipe has been my fail-proof way to get perfect artichokes every time. Why, because it evenly steams the veggie and makes getting them on the table in time for dinner extra easy.
Another important tip for making the perfect artichoke is to cook them cut-side-down (see picture below for reference). Steaming artichoke in your Instant Pot or on the stove top, this is an important step. This allow the hot steam to easily get in between the petals of the artichoke and evenly cook your veggie throughout.
Also, try to select artichokes that are similar in size when cooking them as a batch. Smaller artichokes will cook faster than large ones. Cooking artichokes of different sizes will make for very unevenly cooked veggies and some serious disappointment at the dinner table.
How to select an artichoke
- Buy artichokes with closed petals. This is a sign that they are fresher and will be much more tender to eat!
- Opt for artichokes that feel a bit heavy. You can do this by holding different artichokes in each hand and comparing their weight. The lighter artichokes are more likely to be drier and produce less meat after cooking in your Instant Pot.
- The greener the better. This is a sign that they are nice and fresh. Wilted and dry artichokes will taste blah.
Tools used for making Instant Pot Artichokes
This post contains affiliate links
- 8-quart Instant Pot (though a 6 quart will work fine)
- Instant Pot trivet
- My favorite cutting board
- serrated knife
- kitchen shears
Suggested dipping sauces to enjoy with Instant Pot Artichokes
You can add a lot of amazing flavor to artichokes with the addition of lemon, garlic and fresh herbs to the Instant Pot when cooking. However, there is something so satisfying about enjoying your perfectly cooked artichoke with an amazing dipping sauce.
Here are a few options to consider serving with this Instant Pot Artichoke recipe:
- Melted butter. Simple. Classic. Delicious. Easy.
- Ranch Dip. Ranch makes everything better in my book.
- Mayo (you can add some hot sauce to make a spicy mayo dip)
Other Instant Pot recipes that will simplify your veggie-loaded life!
- Veggie-Loaded Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
- Instant Pot Broccoli
- Strawberry Beet Instant Pot Applesauce
- Instant Pot Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
- Mashed Instant Pot Potatoes with Cauliflower
Loving these artichokes in the Instant Pot and now you’re hungry for more?
Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 medium artichokes trimmed and prepped (see above for tips)
- 2-4 cloves garlic to taste
- 1/2 lemon sliced into wedges
- fresh herbs whatever you have on hand!
- Prep your fresh artichokes by trimming the stem, removing the top 1/3 of it using a serrated knife.
- Using kitchen sheers, trim the tips of leaves.
- Rinse your artichokes under water, spreading out the leaves to let water inside the artichoke's layers.
- Take lemon wedges and rub over the cut sections of the the artichoke. This step helps to minimize browning/oxidization
- Place garlic, lemon wedges and fresh herbs (if using) in your Instant Pot.
- Place the Instant Pot trivet on top and gentle pour the water into the Instant Pot.
- Arrange your artichokes upside down in your Instant Pot on top of the trivet in a single layer.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and lock it into place. Be sure the release valve on the top is closed.
- Using the manual mode, cook the artichokes on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. It will take your Instant Pot about 10 minutes to get up to pressure.
- Once cook time is up, let the pressure naturally release for at least 15 minutes. After, carefully quick release the remaining pressure by switching the valve to venting (again, careful).
- Once the pressure is completely release, carefully unlock and remove the lid of your Instant Pot.
- Carefully remove artichokes with tongs or a large spoon. Slice in half and enjoy warm with your favorite dipping sauce or as is!
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!