Have you ever made Instant Pot Artichokes? It is my favorite way to make this delicious vegetable and cooking artichoke in your pressure cooker is easy and quick!Jump to Recipe
Instant Pot Artichokes
We are currently deep into May and over the past few weeks, my CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) has been brimming with fresh artichokes.
Truthfully, artichokes are one of those veggies that I am still teaching myself to buy, make and enjoy. While I enjoy their flavor and find them fun to eat, I have always found artichokes to be a “fussy” vegetable that seemed to be a pain to cook.
However, my daughter recently has become obsessed with the idea of artichokes (thanks to character in a beloved book enjoying them) and so I banking on that veggie interest of her’s and serving up these veggies-that-are-actually-flowers on the regular.
And you know what I have discovered? Artichokes don’t have to be a fussy, time consuming vegetable to cook! In fact, when you make artichokes in your Instant Pot….it is a total game changer!
How to prep fresh artichokes
Raw artichokes need a little primping before they are ready to be cooked in any way shape or form. Truth be told, the artichoke that we eat are actually the flower of the artichoke plant and not all of it is edible. In fact, the part that we all want to eat is the heart of the artichoke and it is located in the center of the flower/vegetable. So, by doing a little prep work is needed.
- Cut off the dry portion of the artichoke stem with a serrated knife.
- Next, carefully cut off the top 1/3 (about 1 inch) of each artichoke.
- Next, using kitchen sheers, carefully trim off the tips of the remaining leaves.
- Give your artichokes a good rinsing next, spreading the leaves a bit with your fingers to let the water flow through a flush out any dirt or bugs hiding inside.
- Good to go! This method of prep is good for however you cook your artichokes!
Tools used for making Instant Pot Artichokes
This post contains affiliate links
- 8-quart Instant Pot (though a 6 quart will work fine)
- Instant Pot trivet
- My favorite cutting board
- serrated knife
- kitchen shears
Suggested dipping sauces to enjoy with Instant Pot Artichokes
You can add a lot of amazing flavor to artichokes with the addition of lemon, garlic and fresh herbs to the Instant Pot when cooking. However, there is something so satisfying about enjoying your perfectly cooked artichoke with an amazing dipping sauce.
Here are a few options to consider serving with your Instant Pot Artichokes:
- Melted butter. Simple. Classic. Delicious. Easy.
- Ranch Dip. Ranch makes everything better in my book.
- Mayo (you can add some hot sauce to make a spicy mayo dip)
Other Instant Pot recipes that will simplify your veggie-loaded life!
- Veggie-Loaded Instant Pot Tomato Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup
- Instant Pot Cuban Black Beans
- Strawberry Beet Instant Pot Applesauce
- Instant Pot Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
- Mashed Instant Pot Potatoes with Cauliflower
Instant Pot Artichokes
- Instant Pot
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 2 medium artichokes trimmed and prepped (see above for tips)
- 2-4 cloves garlic to taste
- 1/2 lemon sliced into wedges
- fresh herbs whatever you have on hand!
- Prep your fresh artichokes by trimming the stem, removing the top 1/3 of it using a serrated knife.
- Using kitchen sheers, trim the tips of leaves.
- Rinse your artichokes under water, spreading out the leaves to let water inside the artichoke's layers.
- Take lemon wedges and rub over the cut sections of the the artichoke. This step helps to minimize browning/oxidization
- Place garlic, lemon wedges and fresh herbs (if using) in your Instant Pot.
- Place the Instant Pot trivet on top and gentle pour the water into the Instant Pot.
- Arrange your artichokes upside down in your Instant Pot on top of the trivet in a single layer.
- Place the lid on your Instant Pot and lock it into place. Be sure the release valve on the top is closed.
- Using the manual mode, cook the artichokes on HIGH pressure for 15 minutes. It will take your Instant Pot about 10 minutes to get up to pressure.
- Once cook time is up, carefully quick release the pressure by switching the valve to venting (again, careful).
- Once the pressure is completely release, carefully unlock and remove the lid of your Instant Pot.
- Carefully remove artichokes with tongs or a large spoon. Slice in half and enjoy warm with your favorite dipping sauce or as is!