Are you in need of a some healthy pancakes for kids? Maybe a nutritious pancake recipe or two to jazz up breakfast? Check out these easy, delicious and good-for-you recipes that are going dazzle your whole family.
Pancakes are almost always sure to be a crowd pleaser when it comes to breakfast. They can be the vehicle for fruit, nut butter, jam, jelly and so many other things! Plus, they can take on so many flavors and be jam packed with oodles of healthy ingredients.
I love to make a double (or triple) batch of pancakes during the weekend and toss them in the freezer to quickly reheat on those extra crazy morning when I might have hit the snooze button a few too many times. A good healthy pancake recipe that is easy can totally make a difference and I have one basic healthy pancake recipe that I often modify to fit what we are in the mood to eat and/or what I have on hand.
I love that I can mix it up quick in my blender and that it is made from real food ingredients I usually have on hand! They are full of protein, fiber and are naturally sweetened. These are so easy, delicious and kid-approved!
My Favorite Easy Healthy Pancake Recipe
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 very ripe bananas or 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup honey/maple syrup
- 1/2 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups rolled oats, uncooked
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
Add your rolled oats to your blender and pulse until it has been reduced to a flour-like consistency. Add the remaining ingredients to the blender. Pulse until mixture is smooth and all ingredients are well incorporated. Stop and scrape down the sides of blender and pulse again to make sure everything is evenly mixed into the batter.
Heat up a skillet and add butter or more coconut oil. Pour about 1/4-1/3 cup of batter onto the hot griddle. Cook for about 2-3 minutes per side.
Ways to jazz up my favorite healthy pancake recipe
- add chocolate chips
- mix in blueberries
- top with raspberries
- stir in grated carrot to the batter
- add spinach to the blender (check out my Oatmeal Green Smoothie waffles)
- top with raisins while cooking
- top with sliced strawberries
- mix collagen powder to the batter for extra protein
- add a little cocoa powder to the batter to make then chocolate
- top them with homemade whipped cream
- or dollop with them with coconut cream for a dairy-free option
- drizzle them with extra honey or maple syrup
- top them with chia jam
- add dye-free sprinkles for a fun splash of color
- make them into pancake sandwiches with a little nut butter or sunflower seed butter
Tips for making healthy pancakes for kids
- Use a griddle when cooking if possible. More space to portion them out means less time standing over a stove.
- If using cast iron, be away that it might cook unevenly. I love to cook on cast iron, but it doesn’t evenly distribute heat as well as stainless steel. If using cast iron, thats totally okay! Just be aware that one side of your pan/griddle might cook fast than the other side.
- Wait until the edges of the pancake looks dry and there are a few air bubbled in the middle of the batter before flipping them
- Medium to medium-high heat is usually the ideal temp. You don’t want to cook the outside of your pancake too fast and have a raw middle. Or risk burning the outside. Always check a articular recipe for suggested cooking temp, as it will vary based on ingredients.
- Don’t forget to regrease! If cooking a large batch of pancakes, don’t forget re-oil your griddle half way through so the pancakes don’t start to stick. I feel like I always forget this step and want to make sure you don’t!
Other healthy pancake recipes for kids that are going to inspire you!
If you love the idea of venturing away from traditional pancakes and want to add a little pizzaz to your flapjacks, here are 20 awesome healthy pancake recipes you should try!
- Healthy Apple Carrot Pancakes
- Banana-Spinach Pancake Pizza
- Mini Healthy Sweet Potato Pancakes
- Pink Beet Pancakes
- One-Bowl Chocolate ChipBanana Pancakes
- All Natural Red Velvet Pancakes
- Paleo Vegan Pancakes
- Gluten Free Gingerbread Pancakes
- One-Bowl Chocolate Pancakes with Strawberry Syrup
- Whole Wheat Oven Pancake
- Pumpkin Spice Pancakes
- Veggie-Loaded Chocolate Pancakes
- Easy Whole Grain Vegan Pancakes
- “Good Morning Gorilla” Pancakes
- Paleo Blueberry Muffin Pancakes
- Peanut Butter Cup Pancakes
- Quinoa Power Pancakes
- Blender Banana Spinach Pancakes
- Vegan Cinnamon Roll Pancakes
- Whole Wheat Banana Pancakes