This healthy one-skillet Teriyaki Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry is a healthy version of the classic dish. Super easy to make and so flavorful! It’s gluten free, dairy free, Whole30, Paleo and sweetened with a few dates.Jump to Recipe
Teriyaki chicken stir-fry is to easy dinners what the Beatles are to music. Classic through and through. Something everyone body knows about….and either loves or hates. Personally, I’m on the love end of it all…for the stir-fry and the Beatles.
But here is the thing about classic teriyaki chicken stir-fry….its not all that healthy. I know, I know. That chicken and lovely sweet and sticky sauce are almost always accompanied by veggies (yay!), but that amazing sauce that kind of pulls the whole dish together is…well, not that great for you. Lots of soy. Lots of sugar. Lots of boooooooooooo.
So out with classic teriyaki chicken, and in with Healthy One-Skillet Teriyaki Chicken & Veggie Stir-Fry!
This recipes is the new knees to my bees for a few reasons:
- One-skillet recipes are magical. I hate dishes. Don’t you hate dishes? Let’s just skip the extra dishes and make all the meals in one pan…starting with this one.
- It still has the great taste of traditional teriyaki but without the overload of sugar and soy (and I’m sure a boatload of other additives that store-bought teriyaki sauce has.
- Its easy. Because thats how I roll. I don’t have the time or the patience for complicated, so if I am willing to make this for dinner….you better believe its a simple one.
- Its all kinds of veggie-loaded. Because thats also how I roll. But you guys know that by now.
So let’s just cut to the chase and make this recipe. Because its going to be happening a lot in my house…and your’s too, I’m betting.
Other recipes you are going to love!
- Beef & Mushroom Meatballs
- Glorious Green Veggie Chicken Burgers
- Instant Pot Salsa & Spinach Shredded Chicken
- Ranch Chicken Spaghetti Squash Casserole
Loving the veggie-loaded goodness and hungry for more?Sign up so that my newsletter is delivered straight to your inbox. And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all kinds of veggie-loaded living ideas!
Healthy Teriyaki Chicken & Veggie Stir Fry
- 3-4 dates pitted (or to taste)
- 1/2 cup coconut aminos
- 1/4 cup apple cider or juice (make sure it is just apples as ingredient with no added sugar)
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 tbsp tapioca starch or arrowroot starch (depending on how thick you like your sauce)
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless chicken breasts cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 1/2 cups carrots chopped (about 4 medium carrots)
- 4-5 cups broccoli florets (about 12 oz)
- 2 bell peppers deseeded and chopped
- 1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil or oil of choice
- In a high-speed blender, combine dates, coconut aminos, apple cider/juice, 1 tablespoon tapioca starch, ginger and garlic powder. Blend for 60 seconds or until dates are completely blended.
*if you do not have a high speed blender, soak your dates in hot water for 15 minutes, drain and then add them to the blender. This will make them less taxing on your blender*
- Put sauce aside
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add cooking oil.
- Once oil is hot, add chicken, carrots and broccoli florets. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add bell peppers to the skillet, stirring a few times to incorporate. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add teriyaki sauce to the stir fry. Stir to coat the chicken and veggies and cook for 4-5 more minutes or until sauce thickens. If you like your sauce thicker, sprinkle an additional 1/2-1 tablespoon of tapioca starch over the stir fry and stir in to the meal until is disappears.
- Enjoy warm! Pairs well with cauliflower rice, rice, mach cauliflower or mashed potatoes.