Green Protein Smoothie (No Banana)
Start your day fueled up and satisfied with this Green Protein Smoothie. Made with frozen mango, peanut butter, fresh or frozen spinach, chia seeds, ground flax, and your favorite protein powder, it’s done in 5 minutes and will keep you full all morning.
I love the ease of a green smoothie on a busy morning or when I just feel like I need a quick boost of fruits and veggies in my day. However, many smoothies don’t have enough “omph” from protein to keep me full and satisfied. Which is why I am loving this Green Protein Smoothie.
This green smoothie recipe is for you non-banana lovers, because this blend is naturally sweetened with frozen mango! Yep, this green protein smoothie is banana-free and still creamy and perfectly sweet. It is also rocking protein from your favorite protein powder, chia seeds, and peanut butter. Rocking fiber from fruit and veg and some healthy fat, this smoothie can be made in just 5 minutes with either fresh or frozen spinach…whatever you have on hand. Like all of my easy smoothie recipes, this smoothie can easily be adapted to fit your needs and personal tastes with a few tweaks. Depending on what protein powder and milk you use, this green smoothie can easily be vegan, dairy-free, gluten free, and vegetarian.
Do you have some spinach on hand for this smoothie, but need to make sure it stays good? Be sure to check out my tips and tricks for storing spinach so it stays fresh all week!
Steps for making the perfect green smoothie
- Add the liquid to the blender first followed by the spinach and kale. Blend this first so that the greens easily get pureed and are nice and smooth.
- Then add the mango to the smoothie and blend again! This will help you to not end up with an unexpected chunk of veggie in a sip of smoothie.
- Adjust the amount of ice and liquid to achieve your desired consistency.
- Use a protein powder that you like the taste and texture of. They are all vastly different and it is hard to hide a gritty powder or unappealing flavor in a simple smoothie. Liking your protein powder will help you to love this green protein smoothie.
- Use frozen spinach. Leafy greens wilt down considerably in volume during the freezing process, so you will need to reduce the amount of frozen kale and frozen spinach you use. I’d suggest about 1/2 cup each if using frozen.
- Use banana instead of mango. 1 or 2 medium bananas will replace the natural sweetness of the mango in this Green Protein Smoothie.
- Make it dairy-free & vegan by using your favorite plant-based milk and using vegan protein powder.
- Omit the peanut butter or sub with sunflower seed butter to make this smoothie nut-free.
- Use Greek yogurt instead of protein powder. Greek yogurt is high in protein and is a great sub if you don’t have or want to use protein powder. I suggest about 1/2 cup in this Green Smoothie Recipe.
Other veggie-loaded smoothie recipes to try…
- 15+ Fruit and Veggie Smoothies
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Carrot Apple Smoothie
- 5-Minute Cucumber Mango Pineapple Smoothie
- 5-Minute Kale Spinach Smoothie
- Mango Kale Smoothie
- Spinach Pear Smoothie
- Chocolate Avocado Banana Smoothie
- Creamy Cauliflower Banana Peach Smoothie
Loving this Green Protein Smoothie recipe and are hungry for more?
Green Protein Smoothie (No Banana)
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach, or ¾ cup frozen
- 1 cup milk of choice, I used unsweetened almond
- 1 heaping cup frozen mango
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter, or to taste
- 1 scoop protein powder of choice, I like collagen powder or vanilla whey protein powder. Or ½ cup Greek yogurt.
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1 tablespoon ground flax
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- ½-1 cup water, or to taste
- Add milk and spinach to your blender. Puree until smooth and no chunks of greens remain.This step will help ensure that your greens get entirely pureed so that you don't end up with a chunk of spinach in a gulp of smoothie.
- Add mango, peanut butter, protein powder, chia seeds, vanilla, and ground flax to the blender. Blend again. Check for desired consistency. If needed, add water ½ cup at a time or some ice and reblend if needed.
- Pour into two glasses, and enjoy right away.