These Roasted Delicata Squash Slices are one of the easiest, most delicious veggie sides you can make during the cooler months. No need to peel and using just 4 ingredients, this simple recipe will make you fall in love with an underrated veggie.
I can’t tell you how obsessed I am with delicata squash.
Delicata squash has a thin skin that is lovely, tender, and edible when cooked. There is no need to peel and makes prep for this veggie side dish easy and under 10 minutes. The flesh has a milder flavor than many of its squashy relatives and is perfect for jazzing up with whatever seasonings you please. Since this roasted squash recipe is plant based, gluten free, vegetarian, Paleo and everything in between, it is the perfect thing to cook up for dinner or a holiday feast. And, bonus, it is done in under 30 minutes of cooking.
What does delicata squash taste like?
Like many squash, delicata has a natural sweetness to it. However, it has a much milder flavor compared to butternut or acorn squash. It has a tender flesh that is almost creamy when cooked and can be seasoned in all sorts of ways.
Can you eat the skin of a delicata squash?
Yes! Which is one of the reasons I love it so much! The skin is much thinner than most other squash and is tender when cooked. Just give your delicata squash a good washing to remove any dirt, scoop out the seeds, cut, season, and cook.
How do you select a delicata squash?
When buying or harvesting a delicata squash, you’ll know it is ripe and ready to be enjoyed when it is light yellow with green stripes along ribs. It should be firm, with no soft spots.
When are delicata squash in season?
You will see delicata squash in stores and at farmers markets starting in early fall and going through November.
How to store a delicata squash
Whole, uncut and raw, delicata squash stores great for several months when kept in a cool, dark place.
Here are some more delicious vegetable sides you might enjoy
- 20+ Healthy Vegetable Side Dishes
- Parmesan Kale Chips
- Sautéed Carrots
- Mashed Butternut Squash
- Easy Roasted Radishes
- Air Fryer Green Beans
- Roasted Carrots and Potatoes
Loving this squash recipe and are hungry for more?
25-Minute Roasted Delicata Squash Slices
- 1 large delicata squash about 2 pounds
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil or avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Preheat oven to 425℉.
- Wash the outside of the squash well and cut the ends off. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and use a large spoon to scoop out seeds.
- Place squash halves cut-side down on a cutting board and cut into ½" half moon slices.
- Place squash slices in a bowl and drizzle with oil and season with salt and garlic powder. Toss to coat.
- Arrange squash slices on a large baking sheet in a single layer, making sure there is some space in between each slice. Crowded squash will steam instead of roast, so giving the slices room is important in achieving that roasted outside. If needed, split the batch between two smaller baking sheets so slices have space.Note: I found roasting the squash on an unlined baking sheet is key for getting that roasted outside too. If tossed well with the oil, I have not had any issues of the squash sticking.
- Roast squash in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven, flip each slice and roast for another 5-10 minutes or until the squash is tender and golden on the outside.
- Enjoy warm.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!