Done in about 20 minutes and so delicious, this Creamy Broccoli Pasta is going to be a new favorite! Vegetarian and easily gluten free, enjoy this veggie-loaded dish as main meal or as a side dish!
Family-friendly broccoli side
When I have no idea what to make for dinner on a busy weeknight, I almost always default to an easy vegetarian pasta recipe.
And this cream broccoli pasta has become the perfect jumping off point for dinner. Super simple to make and creamy sauce + pasta + veggies and it comes together in 20 minutes! Vegetarian, made in one pot, and easily gluten-free. Bump up the protein in this broccoli recipe and toss in your favorite protein into the mix.
Bonus: You can enjoy this side as a main dish too, if you are a pasta lovin’ crew. This recipe makes 4 servings as a main course or 6 to 8 when enjoyed as a side.
Why this creamy broccoli pasta is so awesome!
- It’s made in one pot! All the veggie-loaded yum with no extra dishes. I live for these kinds of recipes.
- Naturally vegetarian, though you can easily add your favorite protein to this broccoli pasta recipe you like! Crispy tofu goes great with this, but cooked chicken, shrimp, or sausage are delicious animal proteins that pair beautifully with this veggie side dish.
- Cooks up in 20 minutes, making it perfect for those crazy weeknights when you are going in all directions.
- Loaded with broccoli, making it a perfect + delicious way to get veggies in at dinner….even if your family is iffy on the veggies.
- Can easily be made gluten free with your favorite gluten free pasta.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I make this broccoli pasta recipe gluten-free?
You sure can! Just use your favorite gluten-free pasta. Any kind of pasta will work well.
How can I make this creamy pasta dairy-free?
I have not tried this recipe with dairy-free substitutes, but I think it will work using a dairy-free cream cheese and shredded cheese. Makes sure to taste the final sauce and add season to taste.
Can I use frozen broccoli?
Yes, add the frozen broccoli to the pasta when it’s fully cooked because frozen broccoli is already cooked and just needs to be stirred into the boiling water for 30 seconds to defrost.
Can this broccoli pasta be made ahead of time?
Sure. Just add some extra broth to the pasta when you reheat. This will help prevent the pasta from being too dry when rewarmed.
What’s the best kind of pasta to go with broccoli?
You can use whatever pasta your family enjoys or you have on hand, but I’ve found this recipe works best with the small shaped pastas. Shapes like shells, fusilli, or elbows.
How do you cook broccoli for pasta?
Right IN the pasta water! Awesome, right? Broccoli doesn’t need long to cook, so you just add the florets to the hot pasta water when there are a few minutes left on the timer. The broccoli cooks to perfection without making extra dishes and without getting mushy.
How to cut broccoli for pasta?
Into small, bite-sized florets is ideal. That way the broccoli will cook quickly and you can enjoy a bit of broccoli in every forkful. Or, use small cut frozen broccoli florets and save yourself a step!
Up the veggies!
Want to veggie-loaded this creamy broccoli pasta even more?
Wohhoooo! You are singing my toon. So many vegetables would be great in this pasta, such as…
- green beans
- If you want to add greens, like spinach, wilt the leaves in the sauce just before adding the cooked pasta since spinach doesn’t take very long to cook.
- Add some spice. If you enjoy a little heat in your broccoli pasta, add a little crushed red peppers flakes to the final dish.
- Make it as part of meal prep. The leftovers are magical.
- Add some extra protein. Broccoli has a lovely amount of plant protein. However, if you’d like to up it a bit more, add some crispy tofu, cooked chicken, shrimp, or sausage to this broccoli pasta.
Other broccoli recipes you will love!
- Roasted Air Fryer Broccoli
- Instant Pot Broccoli
- Savory Vegetable Muffins
- Teriyaki Broccoli Chickpea Stir Fry
- Broccoli Tots
- Easy Chicken Broccoli Casserole
Loving this broccoli pasta recipe and now you’re hungry for more?
Creamy Broccoli Pasta (20 Minutes!)
- 8 ounces small-shaped pasta of choice use gluten free for gluten free option
- 8 ounces broccoli florets, cut into bite sized-pieces about 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup finely chopped onion
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 clove garlic minced
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup cream cheese about 3 ounces
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese or any cheese your prefer
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and set a timer for the cook time on the box minus 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add the broccoli to the water when 3 minutes are left if you like your broccoli on the softer side and add the broccoli in when there are two minutes left if you like it a little more crisp. After the cook time is up, taste a piece of broccoli to make sure it’s cooked to your liking. Drain pot into a colander and set pot back on the stove.
- Add oil to the pot and place on medium heat. Once the oil is hot, add onion and salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until translucent, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Stir in garlic and cook for an additional minute. Add vegetable broth and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes to make sure the onion is fully softened.
- Stir in cream cheese to melt then add shredded cheese and whisk until melted and combined. Season with black pepper.
- Add in cooked pasta and broccoli and stir to coat in the sauce. Taste and add additional salt and pepper, as desired. Serve.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!