This Corn and Black Bean Salad with a simple lime dressing is the perfect, easy salad to serve as a side to any meal. Naturally, dairy-free, gluten free, vegetarian and vegan, this easy salad is bursting with flavor and is quick to whip up in one bowl.
Corn and Black Bean Salad
Salads might be the unofficial meal of summer….next to anything grilled, that is. And popsicles. And ice cream. And burgers.
Okay, so maybe there are several dishes things that just TASTE like summer. That remind us of outside, soaking up the sun and that DO NOT require us turn our stove on.
But one thing that is indisputably IS the flavor of summer is corn.
Delicious corn recipes have a bit of a cult following. People go gaga over all things corn and look for all the ways to enjoy this amazing summer veg. And luckily, these are lots of different ways to get your corn on. Corn and quinoa stuffed peppers is one of my personal favorites and you can’t go wrong with classic (Instant Pot) corn on the cob. But salad + corn is kinda the ultimate summer recipe.
This salad is dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. You can tweak it and jazz it up however you like. It is loaded with protein from black beans, tangy dressing, lots of fun crunch and is far cry from the “blah” of lettuce and tomatoes hanging out with a burger on your summer dinner plate.
It takes minutes to make in just one bowl, is easy to prep and comes together in about 5 minutes. Perfect for a newbie in the kitchen or someone who just wants an easy veggie side to enjoy while watching the sunset, this corn salad pairs beautifully with grilled chicken, shrimp, or burgers. Or enjoy it as its own complete meal. Make it ahead of time and store it in your fridge for up to 3 days to enjoy a veggie-loaded meal in a pinch.
Why this corn and black bean salad is so good
- It’s loaded with classic summer flavors like corn, cucumbers, bell pepper, and cilantro. Topped with an easy, zesty dressing that brings out the best in all the ingredients.
- The black beans add a boost of protein.
- It’s healthy, made from scratch, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free. Perfect for just about any eating style. So it is perfect to share with a crowd.
- It’s great as part of meal prep! I feel like this salad is even better the next day when the veggies have had a chance to marinade in the dressing.
Is corn and black bean salad gluten-free
It sure is! No swaps needed. Enjoy as is.
Should you use dried or canned black beans in this salad?
You can either use canned beans that have been well rinsed or dried beans that you have cooked. I like to cook my dry beans in either my slow cooker or Instant Pot for this recipe because it is easy and affordable, but I always keep some canned beans in my pantry so I can throw it together in a pinch.
What should you serve with corn and black bean salad?
I love this salad as a side to burgers, grilled fish, shrimp, or chicken, or as a side on taco night! It is so fresh and flavorful, though, that it goes really well with just abut any meal.
How to store corn and black bean salad
This salad is a great thing to whip up as part of meal prep or to make ahead of time to enjoy as a quick meal on a busy day. It keeps great for up to 3 days in your fridge when stored in an air-tight container.
- Add diced avocado.
- Add crushed garlic to the dressing. If you enjoy the flavor of raw garlic, that would be a lovely addition to this black bean salad.
- Serve dressing on the side. I suggest this for children especially. That way the children can drizzle the dressing themselves or skip it all together.
- Serve it deconstructed. Again, I am thinking of the kiddos with this one. Sometimes a salad can be visually overwhelming to a child. When making this black bean salad, simply put some of the ingredients to the side. That way, come dinner time, just serve it to children deconstructed. They can enjoy the elements of the salad that they like and skip over the parts they don’t want.
- Reduce the lime juice. I love the zip of citrus in this salad. However, if you are not a lime lover…consider reducing the amount of juice to 1/8 of a cup.
Other easy savory summer recipes
- Healthy Tuna Salad (with added veggies)
- Healthy Ranch Dressing (quick & easy)
- Veggie-Loaded Spring Chicken Salad
- Fajita Salad with Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Greek Chicken Salad
- Veggie-Loaded Mashed Chickpea Salad
Did you try this salad and now you’re hungry for more?
Sign up so that my newsletter is delivered straight to your inbox. And be sure to follow me on Facebook, Pinterest and Instagram for all kinds of veggie-loaded living ideas!
One-Bowl Corn & Black Bean Side Salad
Ingredients for dressing
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder optional or to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- black pepper to taste
Ingredients for salad
- 2 cups cooked black beans drained and rinsed canned beans will work too
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 bell pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
- Combine salad ingredients in a medium bowl and pour dressing over everything. Toss to evenly coat.
- Enjoy immediately or store in fridge for up to 3 days.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!
Super easy and so good!