Corn and Black Bean Salad is the perfect, easy salad to serve at as a side to any meal that is delicious cold. Naturally dairy-free, gluten free vegetarian and vegan, this easy salad is bursting with flavor and is quick to whip up in one bowl!Jump to Recipe
Corn and Black Bean Salad
Salads might be the unofficial meal of summer….next to anything grilled, that is. And popsicles. And ice cream. And burgers.
Okay, so maybe there are several dishes things that just TASTE like summer. That remind us of outside, soaking up the sun and that DO NOT require us turn our stove on.
But to avoid salads just being kind of “blah” and consisting of the same ‘ol lettuce, cucumbers and tomatoes day in and day out, one might need some inspiration. Some delicious inspiration. Such as this corn and black bean salad.
This salad is dairy-free, vegetarian, vegan and gluten free. You can tweak it and jazz it up however you like. It is loaded with protein from black beans, tangy dressing, lots of fun crunch t and is far cry from the “blah” of lettuce and tomatoes hanging out with a burger on your summer dinner plate.
Why this corn and black bean salad is so good
- It’s loaded with classic summer flavors like corn, cucumbers, bell pepper, and cilantro. Topped with an easy, zesty dressing that brings out the best in all the ingredients.
- The black beans add a boost of protein.
- It’s healthy, made from scratch, vegan, vegetarian, gluten free, and dairy free. Perfect for just about any eating style. So it is perfect to share with a crowd.
- It’s great as part of meal prep! I feel like this salad is even better the next day when the veggies have had a chance to marinade in the dressing.
- Add diced avocado.
- Add crushed garlic to the dressing. If you enjoy the flavor of raw garlic, that would be a lovely addition to this black bean salad.
- Serve dressing on the side. I suggest this for children especially. That way the children can drizzle the dressing themselves or skip it all together.
- Serve it deconstructed. Again, I am thinking of the kiddos with this one. Sometimes a salad can be visually overwhelming to a child. When making this black bean salad, simply put some of the ingredients to the side. That way, come dinner time, just serve it to children deconstructed. They can enjoy the elements of the salad that they like and skip over the parts they don’t want.
- Reduce the lime juice. I love the zip of citrus in this salad. However, if you are not a lime lover…consider reducing the amount of juice to 1/8 of a cup.
Other easy savory summer recipes
- Healthy Tuna Salad (with added veggies)
- Healthy Ranch Dressing (quick & easy)
- Veggie-Loaded Spring Chicken Salad
- Fajita Salad with Crispy Roasted Chickpeas
- Greek Chicken Salad
- Veggie-Loaded Mashed Chickpea Salad
Corn and Black Bean Salad
Ingredients for dressing
- 3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder optional or to taste
- 1/3 cup olive oil or avocado oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup or honey
- black pepper to taste
Ingredients for salad
- 2 cups cooked black beans drained and rinsed canned beans will work too
- 2 cups cooked corn kernels
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 bell pepper deseeded and diced
- 1 cup diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl or glass measuring cup, whisk together the ingredients for the dressing. Set aside.
- Combine salad ingredients in a medium bowl and pour dressing over everything. Toss to evenly coat.
- Enjoy immediately or store in fridge for up to 3 days.