Vegan Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies
A delicious sweet treat that is not only easy to make, but free of eggs, gluten and dairy! Soft and chewy, these Vegan Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies are going to be your new go-to cookie recipe!
Almond Butter Cookies with Chocolate
When I say that I share recipes that are from my life….I truly mean it. And this recipe is a prime example of that.
This past Saturday night, I really wanted a cookie. Badly. So stinking badly.
We were hanging out with some friends at their house when the hankering struck. No cookies in sight and (true story) I have a rule that if I really want a treat bad enough, I need to be willing to make it myself.
The treat that is worth making
Why? Because if you want a goodie bad enough you are willing to go through the effort of making it, chances are that treat will actually be worth it to you….and it is an actual treat. When you have UberEats deliver a cupcake or you hit the corner store for some ice cream, it is too easy to mindlessly or emotionally eat something you don’t really want or need.
Plus, when I make a treat myself, chances are I am going to make it about a bazillion times healthier and out of better quality ingredients than something I could grab at the grocery store. My house is only stocked in real food ingredients…so real food ingredients is all I can cook/bake with.
Anyway, back to this cegan chocolate almond butter cookies recipe.
Always a good time for baking cookies
I thought about how badly I wanted a cookie for a good hour (one of these chocolate almond butter cookies, of course) before asking my friends if I could commandeer their kitchen and bake myself a damn batch of cookies.
Luckily, a friend’s willingness to randomly let you make a mess of their kitchen is directly proportional to how good of a friend they are. And these were good friends.
Plus, they are also fans of my recipes and figured there would be cookies to share….so with that, they handed me a bowl and their blessing and set me loose in their kitchen.
Vegan Chocolate Almond Butter Perfection
And then these cookies were born! Nothing fancy, but smelling and tasting like exactly everything I was hoping for to fulfill my craving.
Actually, these Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies are quite simple. But that is kind of what I like most about them.
They are a healthier twist on the cookies we all grew up dunking in milk, but they still hold onto the the classic flavors and textures that a really good cookie needs to have!
Other mouthwatering recipes you are going to love…
- Sweet Potato Peanut Butter Balls
- Chocolate Sweet Potato Cookies
- Healthy Blueberry Sweet Potato Bread
- One-Bowl Peanut Butter Carrot Blondies (vegan + gf)
Loving these vegan chocolate almon butter cookies and hungry for more?
Vegan Chocolate Almond Butter Cookies
- 1 tablespoon flax meal
- 2.5 tablespoons water
- 1 cup creamy natural almond butter
- 1/3 cup coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup cacao or unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
- 1/3 cup good quality chocolate chips or chunks, (this is the brand I use)
- Preheat your oven to 350 ℉ and line two baking sheets with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a medium bowl, combine water and flax meal. Stir to mix together and then let it hang out for a few minutes to “gel”.
- Add all ingredients except for chocolate chips and mix to combine. Stir until batter is smooth and without clumps. Taste test for sweetness and add more sugar if desired.
- Fold in chocolate chips/chunks.
- Using a small cookie scoop or a very heaping tablespoons, portion out the batter. Roll each scoop of batter into a ball and then gently flatten them on the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Removed from oven and cool on baking sheet for 15-20 minutes. Cookies will firm up as they cool.
- Enjoy once cool!
- You can replace the flax meal and water in this recipe with 1 egg is egg-free is not needed.
- For a nut-free option, replace the almond butter with unsweetened sunflower seed butter.