These chickpea vegetable nuggets are the perfect finger food for little eaters! This vegetarian twist on traditional chicken nuggets is loaded with extra veggies and protein! Easy to make and super delicious, enjoy these vegetable nuggets on their own, instead of meatballs or dunk them in your favorite sauce!Jump to Recipe
Nuggets are a beloved finger food of childhood. Heck, they are a beloved finger food of adulthood too!
Maybe its because you don’t need a fork to eat them. Or maybe because they are so dunkable in whatever sauce I have on hand. Or it really could be because nuggets have a way being an easy addition to any meal and kiddo instantly get excited to see them on their plate.
And while there is a time and place for the occasional dino-nugget from the freezer section of the grocery store, I honestly prefer to make my own nuggets so that I can fill them with vegetables (like I do) and since they are so easy to make, nuggets make for an easy weeknight dinner.
These chickpea veggie nuggets are a vegetarian twist on my super popular Veggie-Loaded Chicken Bites. These vegetable nuggets are perfect for a lunch box or to make quickly on a crazy busy Tuesday night after soccer practice. Or to just keep on hand in place of those dino-nuggets for a healthier, veggie-loaded dinner option for when life is…..well life and crazy!
To make these chickpea veggie nuggets, I used….
What to serve the chickpea vegetable nuggets with
However you like to nugget will probably work with these vegetable nuggets too! But for a little serving inspiration, this is how we love ’em.
- Ranch dressing
- sugar-free or homemade ketchup
- honey mustard sauce
- in place of meatballs with your favorite pasta and sauce
- with oven baked fries
- mashed potatoes & cauliflower
- with butternut squash vegan cheese sauce
- one their own!
Other vegetarian veggie-loaded recipes to try!
- Butternut Squash Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Instant Pot Black Bean & Butternut Squash Soup
- Instant Pot Lentil Soup (+ slow cooker instructions)
- Pumpkin Pasta Sauce
- Instant Pot Black Bean & Sweet Potato Chili
Chickpea Vegetable Nuggets
- food processor
- small cookie scoop
- large pan
- 15 ounces chickpeas cooked and drained
- 1/2 cup grated zucchini
- 1/2 cup grated carrot
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1/2 tbsp Italian seasoning
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 cloves garlic to taste or sub 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- black pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp olive or avocado +extra for cooking
- 1/2 cup oat flour or your favorite breadcrumbs
- Take shredded zucchini and carrots. Put it in the middle of a clean dish towel or large piece of paper towel. Wrap up the zucchini & carrots with towel squeeze a few times to help drain out some of the moisture.
- In your food processor, combine drained zucchini and carrots and remaining ingredients. Pulse a few times to combine. Mixture should be wet but scoop able.
- Heat cooking oil in a large pan over medium high heat.
- Using heaping tablespoon or a small cookie scoop, portion out the mixture into the pan. Cook nuggets 3-5 minutes and flip, using the back of your spatula to gently flatten them a bit. Cook an additional 3-5 minutes or until outside of the nugget has a slightly golden color.
- Enjoy warm and with your favorite dipping sauce. Allow leftovers to cool completely and store in an air-tight container in fridge for 4-5 days