This cherry smoothie is made with delicious frozen fruit, your favorite milk, and veggie-loaded with a handful of spinach. Ready in 5 minutes, kid-approved and easily plant based, vegan, and Paleo friendly. The perfect no-cook breakfast or snack.
Originally published May 11, 2015. Last updated May 5, 2021.
Smoothies are a pretty serious morning ritual around my house.
We drink them daily (sometimes twice a day)! Why? Because they are EASY and I love knowing my beloved little crew is heading off into their day with a strong dose of nutrient dense plants in their bellies to fuel whatever life throws at them.
Smoothies are the ultimate fast food, in my book. And they are especially perfect for the warmer months when motivation to cook is low and the heat in our houses is high!
I can’t tell you the hundreds of different flavor combinations I’ve turned into smoothies, some with great success and others…not so much.
But this Cherry Smoothie with spinach, who is is a winner for sure! My family loves how it tastes like a dessert and is icy cold for when you need something refreshing. I love that it is made with just 5 ingredients and spinach happens to be one of them! Veggie-loading for the win!
- Make it dairy free by using your favorite plant milk.
- Use banana instead of mango. It comes down to taste preference and what you have on hand. I find that mangos and banana both offer up the sweetness that smoothies need and you can use either in this cherry smoothie.
- Use pitted, fresh cherries and toss in some ice for that frosty feel you look for in a smoothie.
- Up the veggies by tossing in more spinach, some rice cauliflower or even a little roasted beet!
- Add berries. Blueberries and strawberries both go beautifully in this cherry smoothie.
- Power this cherry smoothie up by adding some “boosters” to add flavor, different nutrients and/or textures. See below for some ideas of what you can use to enhance this already amazing smoothie recipe.
You can really make a smoothie your own and jam so many good-for-you things into them! They are kind of my secret weapon as a busy working mom to making sure we all get oodles of plants into our bellies, no matter how busy the day is!
I love to start with a base of a good smoothie (like this cherry smoothie recipe) and then add on based on what I have on hand, what sounds good, and what I kind of feel like we need a little extra of in our day. Here are some great ingredients you can opt to add to this cherry smoothie or pretty much any smoothie recipe.
- Chia seeds
- Ground flax
- Almond butter
- Peanut butter
- Pitted dates
- Cocoa powder
Other veggie-loaded smoothie recipes that you are going to live off of this summer
- Easy Green Smoothie
- Pink Beet Smoothie
- Blueberry Spinach Smoothie
- Power-Up Green Smoothie
- Sunrise Butternut Squash Smoothie
- Vitamin C Immune Boosting Smoothie
Did you try this spinach cherry smoothie and now you’re hungry for more?
Cherry Smoothie (with spinach)
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup milk of choice
- 1 cup spinach
- 2 cups frozen cherries
- 1 cup frozen mango can sub on banana
- In your blender, combine milk, water and spinach. Blend until spinach is entirely pureed.
- Add cherries and mango to the blender and blend until smooth.
- Add extra milk or water if needed to reach desired consistency and blend again.
- Pour into 2 glasses and enjoy immediately.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!