A good creamy cheese sauce makes pretty much everything better. And this butternut squash vegan cheese sauce is pure magic! Drizzle it over veggies, baked potato or pasta. Use it to make a batch of healthy nachos or just dunk your favorite tortilla chips in it! However you use it, keep a batch on hand for adding a little vegan cheese-y goodness to every meal.
I have been making this sauce for years. And years. And years.
It is actually the base of my silly delicious Butternut Squash Mac & Cheese that was one of my first veggie-loaded recipes, however some many people shared with me that it is their favorite vegan cheese sauce recipe and use it for so many other dishes that it totally needed a post all its own, highlighting its cheesy wonderfulness.
How does that vegan cheese sauce taste cheesy without dairy?
Nutritional yeast! The nutritional yeast in this recipe gives the vegan cheese sauce that lovely earthy taste that a traditional cheese sauce has. It is also high in B-12, which is something important to make sure to add to a vegan diet.
On top of being good for you, when you combine nutritional yeast with the natural sweetness of butternut squash, a little garlic and a few other real food ingredients, you have a next-to-the-real-deal vegan cheese sauce that will rock your socks and is so family friendly.
Ways to enjoy this butternut squash vegan cheese sauce
Cheese sauce is a classic comfort food staple for adding a little pizzazz to all kinds of foods. So use this vegan version in any way you love to use traditional cheese sauce. Some of my favorite ways are:
- over cooked pasta for an easy vegan mac and cheese
- drizzled over roasted broccoli
- over roasted cauliflower
- as a dipping sauce for roasted Brussels sprouts
- with my favorite tortilla chips
- as part of homemade nachos
- in tacos
Tips for making butternut squash vegan cheese sauce
- For a little extra punch of flavor, sub vegetable broth for the water.
- Use a high-speed blender or food processor. If you love the smooth, creamy texture of regular cheese sauce, the high speed blender/food processor is a must. It really makes such a difference. If you don’t have a high-speed on, this sauce will still come out delicious but won’t be as smooth as it is pictured here.
- Make it your own. We all have a different palate with different preferences. So as much as I love this sauce as is, I encourage you to make it magical for you. After you blend it up, taste and adjust the flavors as needed…blending again.
Other butternut squash recipes you are going to love…
- Instant Pot Black Bean & Butternut Squash Soup
- Sunrise Butternut Squash Smoothie
- How to cook butternut squash (6 ways!)
- Slow Cooker Butternut Squash + Apple Soup
Butternut Squash Vegan Cheese Sauce
- High-speed blender or food processor
- 1 cup butternut squash peeled, seeded and cut into small cubes.
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 cup water or vegetable broth
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup almond milk unsweetened and plain
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- 3/4 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 3 tbsp olive or avocado oil
- 1 large clove garlic or to taste. Sub 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- In a medium saucepan, combine butternut squash, cashews and water. Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and cook 10-15 minutes or until squash is for tender.
- After the butternut squash and cashews are done cooking, scoop into a high-speed blender or food processor blender, reserving remaining cooking liquid. Add remaining ingredients to blender too. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed. Add some of the butternut squash/cashew cooking liquid to make for a thinner cheese sauce.
- Store in an air-tight container in fridge for up to 5 days.
The nutritional information is provided as an estimate only and may vary based on the product type, servings and other factors. If you are following a diet, please consult with a professional nutritionist or your doctor. Stay healthy!